Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:15:04 -0600
>...we have a 7 year old girl named Winter and she is on medication
>for insulinoma we know is just a question of time. We haave been hand
>feeding her for the last 2 years, mixing the medicine in her food and
>so far everything was all right, however the last week for no aparent
>reason she has been fighting us to feed her, she spits her food and is
>really an ordeal. Do you think she is trying to tell us to just let
>her go?

We have had many insulinomics do this, and it was that the pred had
caused/irritated an ulcer. Have you had Winter on Carafate before her
meals for GI protection?

The word out there is to give it 1/2 hour before meals, but we give it
10-15 minutes before feeding, because a ferret`s digestive tract is
quick, and the meds don`t stay around for long.

Carafate coats all the way down, so that her tummy won`t try to digest
its own lining, just like any other kind of meat. It forms a "band-aid"
for a temporary amount of time, protecting her from the acid. Many
times, they are willing to eat, just minutes after carafate. Mouth
ulcers are common in insulinomics too--and carafate is comforting.

If it`s hurting her to eat, this may be the reason she is refusing
food.

Just a thought...

Love,
Zoo

ps- Have you been giving pepcid suspension, a few times a day as well?
That also helps to reduce the acid.