From:
Dave withheld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 04:50:36 -0800
Pax Furo- (meaning Ferret Peace)  The ferret take off of Pax Romano and
Pax Americana.  It is the ferret's belief that they can steal, borrow,
eat, hide, and generally do whatever they want that they feel is in their
best interest or generally makes them happy.  Pooping in restricted
corners, digging up the fern and hiding in a box spring are examples of
this political philosophy at work.

I know that many people advocate the keeping of a trio of ferts or more.
I am wondering if this is more people trying to apply human feelings to
ferts.  The state of California has advocated the idea that domestic
ferrets with form feral "colonies" that will damage California's natural
ecosystems.  When this assertion is refuted California Biologist Ron
Jurek claims tracking ferrets is difficult because they are solitary
animals.  So which is it, solitary or communial animals?  The evidence
suggest that mustelids are solitary in North America.  Wolverines,
Sables, Weasels.  etc are very solitary.  Are polecats solitary in
Europe?  Has domestication bred into ferts a desire or social need for
interaction with other ferts?

Is it wrong to keep a single ferret?  I had two that wouldn't have any
thing to do with each other.  The hob liked the company of the cat while
the Jill was a lap fert.  They were the same age but from different
litters.  I don't think it can be argued that ferts suffer loss when a
cage mate dies or ferrets are split up but does that equate to needing to
have trios of ferts from day one or that if you have more than one ferret
they always will need the company of other ferts?

Dave