From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 04:34:20 -0500
Hey Monica, the first FML I've read in weeks only to be proclaimed a ferret
god.  Cool.  I admit I own a healthy ego, but this was beyond my wildest
expectations.  Really cool.  So, who will pass the collection basket for me?

Actually, I'm a minor deity, probably more like Mercury than Zeus.  You
know, fast car, running all over the place?  Zeus had power over all the
other gods, sort of like Bill has over us....maybe that should be the Church
of BIG?  It was Zeus that would make proclaimations like "Yes, it can
enter," and "Not this time, try again..." Besides, Bill looks far more
Greek than I do; I'm just a wimpy lookin' European type.  Hey, that being
the case, maybe I'm more like Thor.  Mild-mannered sickly science dude,
smack the cane, and blam, a new ferret superhero guy...no, not Thor.....
Bob remember?  It would be...Bhor!

Bhor the Ferret God. Cool.

Those followers of any faith, including ancient Norse and Greek religions,
please do not be offended by this post.  It was all in fun, as were the
original remarks.  Personally, I have always been amused by the popularity
bestowed upon me because of the occasional short post I beg Bill to allow
in, and have long awaited the day when everyone else realizes what I have
known all along...I am just another ferret nut looking for a place to vent
frustrations at the CaCa Flushing Gestapo and boreocratic bummbleheads like
Pete "Wee Weasel" Wilson.  In fact, many people on this list, and off, do
far more for ferrets than I do, starting with Bill who spends far more time
than he has making sure it gets out on time.  If there is such a thing as a
list of ferret "players," mine would be long down the list, under names like
Gruber, Troutman, Greene, Bossart, Eckhart, Carley and many more I could
never find room to list miuch less remember (If I omitted a niame you
thought should be on the list, sorry.  It's very late and I'm on long
distance, so I am writing fast.)

In a very real sense, we are all gods of a sort to our ferrets, granting
freedom, food and pleasure at our whim.  That gives us a great
responsibility towards them, and as great towards each other.  It has always
been a great sorrow to me to see wonderful people, each with a great love of
those little ferret rascals at odds over small disagrements of a personal
nature, at such odds that it disrupts the ability of our ferret community to
bond together to form a truely national organization with political power
and influence.  With appologizes to all, none exist at present (regardless
of any amount of drum thumping) and nothing can be started that can do
better than what already exists.

Do I have a solution?  Yes, but the "players" involved will not like it,
and I doubt if many people will take it to heart.  And now that I've been
proclaimed a "god" and Easter is approaching, I realize what can happen to
anyone offering unpopular solutions.  The solution is simple; bury the
hatchet, make friends with enemies, and bond all the weak and tiny groups
into a single strong group, with elections and all the junk that goes with
it.  Make sure Ferret people in non-USA parts of the world are invited,
after all, the world actually revolves around an axis rather than the USA.
Personally, I won't belong to any organization that does not allow the
membership voting rights for the highest levels of leadership, nor will I
support any organization that allows personal disagrements to influence
policy.  As for you club people, don't try to impress me with membership
numbers, or how large you are compared to the other clubs.  It means nothing
to shelters who see little or no help, nor to most of the States (and the
world) who have never heard of you.  You want to impress me?  Set a date
for a conference, invite all the clubs, and set down and work it out.  That
would impress me.  That I would work my ass off for.  That would mean
something.  And that would have the political power and clout to back those
pinheaded burrocrats into a corner to make changes.

I read over and over about biting ferrets and heads being cut off and Kodo
and who knows what else, and friends, we can fight the bear like a thousand
gnats or a single tarantula hawk.  We may not be able to kill the bear, or
even harm it much, but I'll tell you; a well placed sting in the right
location can help guide the bear in the direction that moral and ethical
ferret gods wish it to go.

Bob C sans 19 MO Bhorites  (Missing Jet and Pooh)