From:
Kim VanderLaan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 15:23:03 EST
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Ed, I have read reports on the small number of cases in which a ferret was
>implicated in an infant's death -- these amount worldwide to a lower number
>than most of us have fingers one hand, BTW.  I have also read a number
>of the serious injury cases.  EVERY case with a death which I have read
>involved parental abuse or neglect -- typically both for the animal and the
>child.  EVERY death case I read also involved the parents or guardians
>either passed out drunk/stoned or completely absent from the home -- which
>makes sense because otherwise the infant's cries would have been heard....
>Can an attack happen otherwise?  Sure, but it's going to be rare.  In fact,
>according to one of the humane publications I read (Can't recall offhand
>which one it was but I think the one from Associated Humane Societies.)
>most attacks by ANY type of pet animal are traceable to abuse or neglect.
>There may well be two reasons form that -- abuse and neglect create the
>confusion and pain which can precipitate an attack, and they also mean that
>that care and supervision are lacking or sometimes absent.

I agree with everything Sukie said.  Let me tell you about my experiences
as a responsible ferret owner and mother.

I had my daughter in October, 1994.  In October, 1995, just before her
first birthday, I became a ferret owner (not by choice, but that is another
story).  I had no experience with ferrets and this one was going to be
killed if I didn't take her.  She was a 16 week(ish) old silver mitt kit.

Now, my daughter was just starting to figure out how to walk.  She was
pulling herself up on things and standing.

We have a built-in cement planter in our front hall/dining room (stupid
place since it's so dark that nothing can grow there).  We placed the
ferret cage on top of the planter so the ferret could be in the center of
our living area.  You can't really teach a ferret that the child isn't
going to hurt it and that it shouldn't bite when the toddler squeezes or
pulls on it.  But, you can teach the toddler to not touch the cage.  We
told our daughter that the CAGE (not the ferret) might hurt her so she was
never to touch it.  She was not afraid of the ferret and would lean way
over to talk to the ferret through the wire.  When she wanted to pet the
ferret, she would tell me and I would hold so she could pet.  I let the
ferret out to run around when our daughter was in bed (and the other
animals locked away from the ferret).

That worked wonderfully!!  Now our ferret family has grown to 6 and our
daughter is now 4 years old.  The ferrets now live in the basement
(finished) in the ferret/child-proof room in a huge 4 story cage.  Our
daughter is no longer afraid to touch the cage.  She sticks her fingers
through and gets kisses from the ferrets.  But the ferrets still cannot run
around unless she is in bed (or out) because 2 will nip feet.  I'm more
afraid of my daughter hurting the ferrets (by stepping on them, etc.) than
the ferrets hurting her (and have been since the first day with the ferret).

There is no reason, other than irresponisble parents, for children and
animals not to co-exist in safety.

Kim

PS: To the person who gets no help in caring for the ferrets, neither do I.
My husband tolerates the fact that they live in the house.  He will also
watch them run around.  That is the extent of his involvement in them.  I
deal with my daughter and the fuzzies, cats, and dogs.  If you enjoy the
animals enough, you will find a way.  If you don't, then you are right to
find them a new home.