From:
Richard and Katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 18:53:17 -0500
>Wow!  This sounds like a great book - can it be purchased at a local
>bookstore?

I ordered mine through Wildlife Rehab Today.  Web address is
<www.wildliferehabtoday.com>
It covers feeding and nutrition on a large number of wild mammals from
newborns on through to release.

>A tiny pinch of salt will also help the electrolytes.

Kim has since corrected me on this as an antiquated way to hydrate them.
Pedialyte or Gatorade should be used.

>Another really interesting thing is that ferret kits have "transparent"
>bellies.  You can actually see <the milk in there.  It is really neat.

So do pinkie squirrels.  It is a neat thing to see.

>Do you know where you can get the tubes?

Don't know.  I've seen them used at the wildlife rehab facility where I
volunteer.  If I can remember, I'll ask the next time I'm there.

>Many people don't realise the time it takes to hand raise a baby animal.

You're right about that.  It takes a huge commitment on your part.  Baby
birds are the worst.  They are fed about every 20 minutes.  I have a
new-found respect for bird mommies.  And, with any animal babies, those of
us who work have to haul the little ones back and forth to work every day
so they can be fed.  You ought to try keeping a squirrel, who has just
discovered it has a voice, quiet in an office.  Luckily, it sounds like a
piece of squeaky machinery.

Katharine