From:
Jodi Carta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 16:37:06 PDT
What is it with all our relatively young ferrets getting adrenal tumors?

My four year old MF male (Tyler) goes in wednesday for an adrenal tumor..He
has the classic signs......I am praying for a left sided tumor.  My vet
said the survival rate a few days after surgery is guarded when they remove
the right (My vet does have a clamp for the vena cava).  She mentioned that
1 out of 4 ferrets is dying 2-3 days post surgery possibly due to decreased
blood flow to the vital organs (I'm not sure if this is in her practice or
if this was a study somewhere else).  She will do the surgery if the owner
insists but otherwise feels this risk is too great.  She prefers using meds
in this scenario and not removing the tumor.  How do you all feel about
this????  My vet is very ferret knowledgeable and keeps up with all the new
info and I trust her but I would like to get your opinions and experiences
as well.

My little girl had her right adrenal removed (her tumor was malignant) a
year ago May and is doing beautifully.  I sure hope Tyler has the same
healthy fate....he is my first baby....

Please keep him in your prayers on Wed...

Thanks!

Jodi
Tyler and Tessa (Fur Angels "Taylor" and "Teesha")