Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 08:44:50 -0700
When I got my first Ferrets last month, The Kidd was due for his 2nd
distemper shot.  I took him to the clinic where I take my dogs as I was
told two of the vets there "do" Ferrets.  The one that did the vaccination
said NOTHING about a possible reaction, told me not to waste my $$ on
Ferret food, he recommended "plain old cat food".  He also demonstrated
several thumps to the nose when The Kidd was mouthing me, something I was
allowing him to do as it was only play.  I determined ferrets were not his
favorite to "do".  A day or two later I read on this list about reactions
to vaccinations.  I also subscribed to Modern Ferret magazine and ordered
a "pack" of their back issues, something I encourage all new (especially)
ferret owners to do.  I then called my avian vet and he has a 'ferret
vet" working with him.  Shot # 3 was given, along with a very thorough
explanation of why she insists you plan the appointment so you have an
additional 45 min.  to wait after the shot.  She also offered many hints on
toys, different personalities, health concerns, etc.... This was a drop in
vaccination clinic day so there were lots of folks waiting to be "shot" <G>
Still she took the time with this little ferret and his new mom to help us
learn more.  Another note on Modern Ferret mag.  This morning I read in one
of the back issues why it is good to have more than two.  The passing of
their Ralph was the example used.  I've had so many ??  answered already as
well as helpful hints.  Today we make a "swinging basket".

In Touch, Ardith
Mailto:[log in to unmask]