From:
Lee McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 12:56:38 +0400
On Mon, 8 Dec 1997 "John P. Rumaker" wrote to the FML:
>I ran across an interesting find in my 'Inside Netscape Navigator' magazine.
>The article talks about 'Finding FTP Files with File Ferret'.  The article
> ... The question I guess I have is since when have ferrets ever organized
>things??

Aside from organizing my life around theirs, my ferrets have:

-- recataloged my reference books by pushing them off the shelf, nudging
   them into piles, and marking them with the Pooey Decimal System

-- established a file for unpaid bills under the radiator

-- pooled all of our (and visitors') loose currency from pockets, purses,
   and wallets into a mutual fund under the bed, which comes in handy
   whenever I have to buy a new keyboard because Francine added another one
   to her trophy collection

-- dutifully placed all of the squeaky toys under the northeast corner of
   the bed, the stuffed animals under the southeast corner, and unmatched
   socks under the southwest corner.  Emergency stores of kibble may be
   found under the dresser and the northwest corner of the bed.

I think that ferrets have a very highly developed sense of organization.
Look how they act when there is a new box in the room, or a toy is out of
place.  Everything new must be minutely investigated, scent-marked,
cataloged, and archived if possible.  Anything out of place must be
reshelved.

Maybe I interpret their behavior this way because of my own training as a
librarian.

We all see the behavior of our pets through the lenses of our own
experiences.  And so, there are as many ways to train and discipline a
ferret as there are owners; there are as many ways to harness ferrets, run a
shelter, and feed a ferret as there are harnessers, shelter operators, and
amateur nutritionists.  There are baselines on which we can all nearly
agree: that a ferret should not be hurt, that the harness should contain the
ferret securely without harm, and that food should contain a set minimum
amounts of animal protein and fat.  Beyond that, let us share our
experiences and tips in the cause of shared learning, being mindful that not
one of us has a lock on the Truth.

-- Lee, one of the Massachusetts Ferret Friends