From:
Greeter 421 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Apr 2009 21:50:18 -0400
No. 421 was just turning over to catch a few more winks when there was
a knock on the door. He sat up and listened; bam, bam, bam, there it
was again.

"Who's there," No. 421 called. "I was up late last night, went down to
hear Sammy and his band play. I did not get in till sun up. What do
you want?"

"It's me, Oliver," his little currier called. "We has a extra special
request for today. A little ferret girl named Fang is coming over and
we has to tell her sister Honey she is here."

No. 421 dragged himself out of bed, toddled to the door and opened
it up.

"Let me see the slip," No. 421 said as he ran his hand over his hair.
Some days, he just could not do anything with it.

"Let's see, hmmmm, okay, you fetch me some water and I will start
breakfast," No. 421 said. "Then we will go to the Bridge."

Oliver came back with a pail of water and No. 421 measured out the
oatmeal. "Want a few raisins in yours," he asked?

"Sure," Oliver said. "That would be great. Then I can put honey and
ferretone on it and it will be yummy."

The two friends ate and while Oliver washed up the dishes, No.421
dressed. He took a lot of time trying to fix his hair, put on a real
nice shirt, and sucked in his tummy so he looked real sharp.

"Ready to go," No.421 called and Oliver scrambled to catch up. "Wait
a minute, you go tell Honey and Bakin' Bertha to put the tea pot on,
and get ready for company. I'll bring Mz. Fang down as soon as she
crosses."

Oliver skipped off, and No. 421 rushed to the Bridge just in time to
see a cute little girl step up on the wooden planks.

No. 421 rushed over to her and said, "Hello, are you Mz. Fang, my name
is No. 421 and I am here to help you find your sister Honey."

"Honey is here," Fang said. "Where am I? My sister left a while ago,
and she never did come back. If she is here, I would like to see her."

She sure was cute. No. 421 was all a flutter; he just hoped Oliver
found Honey home.

"Well, if you are feeling up to it, lets go and see her," No. 421 said.
"You are at the Rainbow Bridge, and she sure will be surprised. This
will be your home now until your Mom comes here for you. Here, let me
hold your paw, the path is rough and you might fall."

"Thank you," Fang said as she put her little paw in his big warm one.
"I have been sick, and Mom stepped on me the other day, but she did
not hurt me very much. It was the other problem, what ever that was.
It must be gone, as I feel good now. And I am a little bit hungry."

Bakin' Bertha's house was in sight and Honey came running out to meet
her sister. "Fang, oh Fang, is it really you?" Honey said. "I'm so
glad to see you. How is Mom and Elmo?"

Fang ran to her sister and the two girl ferrets hugged and dooked.
"They are fine," Fang said.

"Look, we can talk later, lets all have something to eat," Honey said.
"I just baked some scones and they should be coming out of the oven at
any minute."

Fang and Honey sat down, while Bakin' Bertha poured tea. No. 421 took
a bite of his scone, ummmmhhh that is good. Oliver and Buddy came in
the door. Buddy put the water pails down and smiled.

Honey introduced her sister to Buddy, and Bakin' Bertha set a place
for the two boys.

That Honey sure can make some delicious treats, No. 421 said to himself
as he finished his tea. He was still licking the powered sugar off of
his whiskers when Oliver whispered he thought they should go and let
the girls talk.

When Fang got up to leave with them, Bakin' Bertha took her aside and
asked her if she would like to move in and share a room with Honey?

Fang said she would love it, if nobody minded.

Bakin' Bertha turned to No. 421, and said she had been thinking about
opening up a small cafŽ, just a few tables where ferrets could come
and have a snack. Now with Honey cooking and Fang waiting tables,
Buddy helping with wood and water, she could do it.

"Oh Bakin' Bertha, I would like to do that," Fang said. Then she asked
No. 421 to tell her Mom she was fine, she had a job, and she and Honey
were together again.

"Tell my Mom she did not hurt me when she stepped on me, I was already
sick and I was just trying to hide it from her," Fang said. "Tell her I
love her, and she was the best Mommy a ferret girl could have. Tell her
to give my sleeper and my toys to another little ferret kid hat needs a
good home, hug Elmo for me, and Honey and I will be here waiting for
her to come."

No. 421 called Bluebird and handed her the message. Bluebird said she
would deliver it tomorrow morning, and Fang's Mom would hear it when
the birds woke up to sing.

Honey packed up some scones for No. 421 and Oliver, and as the Bridge
Greeter was leaving, both girls stood, one on each side of him, rose
up on pawtip and brushed a light kiss, one on each cheek.

No. 421 blushed to his whiskers and, taking his scones in one paw and
Oliver in the other, rushed out the door.

Back at his cabin, the two settled down to some raisin stew and they
finished the scones. Oliver finished up the dishes, and No. 421 wrote
in his logbook, Fang arrived and is all settled in, message sent home,
she will make a cute waitress, mission completed.

Oliver was already asleep in the spare room, No. 421 decided not to
wash his face; he just blew out the candle and settled down for the
night.