From:
Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 09:42:19 -0400
>Biaxin and AmoxiDrops for 14 days.  You can find medication
>strengths and dosages in a very good article by Dr. Williams...

Julie gives some very good advice, and I have only one minor thing to
add.  With an established case like this, or a severe one, 14 days
treatment may not be long enough.  If you need longer, it's much better
to use one long treatment cycle than several with gaps in between.
Any break in treating with an antibiotic allows bacteria to develop
resistances to antibiotics.  And since helicobacter are already naturally
resistant to antibiotics, you definitely don't want them getting MORE
resistant.

Be sure to talk to your vet about whether you want a 14, 21 or even 28
day treatment period.  My inclination would be to err on the side of
too long rather than too short.

BTW, this is also why your doctor tells you to take all of your human
antibiotics, too.  You may feel better half-way through, but you risk
creating resistant bacteria if you stop the medicine early.

roger