From:
DTHOMASON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1993 19:04:13 -0500
Kimjo--
      Sorry, I didn't have your name to respond to!  Ferrets do quite
well in apartments, but you may find the need to make a few minor
structural changes to be sure the apartment is safe for the ferret.
We live in an apartment with three ferrets.  We have duct taped up the
only way behind the refrigerator to keep them out from under and
behind it (ferret in a motor fan would be bad!).  They can't get into
the stove.  Cabinets under sinks have child safety locks on them to
keep the ferrets out so we can store chemicals there and because the
builders of apartments tend to do sloppy things like knock giant holes
through the sheetrock to install plumbing.  If a ferret got into one of
these cabinets and found the hole around the pipes it could be into the
wall in no time!  Check the kickboards under all cabinets to be sure
that they are completely sealed.  Some of these leave gaps such that
the ferret can crawl under the cabinet!  We added one of those metal
and rubber strips to the inside of the door into our laundry room to
keep the ferrets away from those large appliances.  Check to see that
there is no way for the ferret to get under or beside the dishwasher
because they're sometimes not particularly well-fitted when installed.
     Some advantages to choosing a ferret as a pet in an apartment are
1) They can be fairly well litter trained and do not require outside
walks for bathroom purposes.  2) They require little space.  3) As
long as they are raised with caging, they are quite comfortable being
caged and regard the cage as their safe home spot.  4)  They sleep for
many hours out of the day and aren't especially destructive or
depressed if left alone for several hours so long as they do get
regular attention when you are home.
     A good beginning book is "Ferrets" by Chuck & Fox Morton,
published by Barrons.  "Ferrets in Your Home" by Wendy Winstead is also
a good book, but it's pricy, going for about $30 in all the pet stores
I've seen it in here.  When you become ready for more advanced reading,
we'll send you after the veterinary textbook! ;>
     Lucky you to know someone GIVING AWAY ferrets!  Hope you decide
ferrets are the pet for you!

              Debra

Ferrets are like Lays potato chips: you can't have just one!