From:
Ferrets Unlimited Ferret Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 23:26:23 -0500
I can understand the frustration, but you have to look at it from the
shelter operators point also.

Many times ferrets are brought into the shelter that have been handles by
young children only to dislike them, if you get what I mean on the term
"handled".

When Ferrets Unlimited incorporated and became 501 (c) (3), we actually
had to set down rules and regulations, one of which is not to adopt to
a home with children under five, and over five is a case by case basis.
The reason?  We have to try to protect both the ferret and the child.
Mistakes do happen, and accidents happen, and no one is willing to admit
that the bite was an accident because Mom or Dad had to run to the
bathroom, or get the other kid out of the flour, it is always the ferrets
fault, or the dogs fault, or the cats fault.  So in order to try to
prevent those types of things, we choose to limit adoptions to older
children.

Does anyone remember the story of Phoenix from Cleveland?  Classic it is
the ferrets fault the kids was bitten, even though I had proof the ferret
did not bite the baby.

When it comes to our case by case basis, I watch how the children act with
the ferrets.  And I use my poor personals as the ginny pigs.  They do lots
of rehab work, so they put up with allot.  And I have talked to Mom and
Dad, telling me how wonderful little Johnny is with the new kitten, just
to see the kids hug the ferret and then try to throw them across the room.
(Thank goodness I have good reflexes, poor Thunder would have hit the wall
today).

Shelter operators do not assume that people are bad parents, or
neglectful, we understand that everyone is human, so we try to protect
the little ones the best we can.  And I mean both the four legged little
ones and the two legged.

Things here are going well, thanks to Lori from Ferret's Dream House,
some of our kids are in good homes, we still have 12 waiting for adrenal
surgery, but that will all get done in time.

Thanks for all the help Lori!!

Hug the fur angels!!

Jean
Ferrets Unlimited Ferret Shelter