From:
Michelle Star <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2011 12:12:26 -0500
Hi! I am a new ferret owner (since January). I adopted my two fuzzies
from a rescue here in Texas (who usually handle guinea pigs, but happen
to have the ferrets). I was naive and trusted them... No need to get
into the details. they had no information to give me on the ferrets or
vaccination history. I erred on the side of caution and vaccinated.
(although now I'm completely confused re: distemper vaccine, but I'll
save that for another email). Confirmed this week that Wanda is
adrenal, but hasn't lost all of her fur yet. My vet believes she is a
good candidate for a Deslorelin implant, but explained that the implant
comes from Australia (true??) and hasn't been approved in the US for
ferrets (also true??). Do your vets have any problems getting the
implant? If I went the surgical route, she would refer me to another
vet here in Austin, which I'd prefer not to do. I'm just trying to
continue my learning and make an informed decision. I would love to
hear your opinions and also potential costs I should be prepared for.
The one question I've been too afraid to ask, how long can I expect for
our Wanda to live with adrenal disease? (based on her teeth, we are
guessing she's 3...not 1, like I was originally told). We've had these
two wonderful ferrets for less than 5 months and they have weaseled
their way into our hearts! :)

Thank you for all the hard work you do with the FERRET Mailing List!

Michelle