From:
Jodie Bohlmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 22:35:17 EDT
Erika found the following information concerning air transport of ferrets:
>Delta allows ferrets in the cabin, with a health certificate and a paid
>$60 one-way ticket.  Only one animal is allowed in the cabin at a time, so
>you must get your pet ticket early.  Alaska Air also allows ferrets in the
>cabin.  Other carriers will only allow your ferret to fly in the luggage
>compartment (usually $50 each way plus health certificates).

I just want to add my own experience to this.  My parents have a small farm
in mid-Missouri and Mom raises wallabies.  When the joeys (baby wallabies)
are old enough to go to new homes, they sometimes need to be transported
long distances.  These animals are similar to ferrets in that they cannot
stand extreme temperatures and can actually die from stress.  She has had
terrible experiences shipping her animals in the luggage compartment.
There is no temperature control.  It is usually very hot or very cold in
this compartment.  Also, luggage handlers are often not as careful as they
should be with living creatures.  They are used to tossing luggage, and
toss is what they do.  There have been times when they have opened the
crate to pet the animals, even with signs posted saying, "Do not open."
Time is very important, too, because they need to be given food and water.
Mom has had wallabies miss flights and get stranded for hours in layovers.
She always watches to be sure her animals are loaded on the plane, and more
than once she has had to have the plane stopped because it taxied away
without them putting the crate on board.  The only reason none of these
animals died is because Mom pays very close attention to where the animal
was on each stage of the flight.  She is very strong willed and has
literally thrown fits to high level airline personnel to get action taken
before the animals died.  After many tearful experiences, she finally
learned *never* to ship an animal in the luggage compartment.  The best
way (but most expensive) is to buy a round trip ticket for yourself on an
airline that allows small animals in carry-on crates.  I did not know about
the deal Erika described where you can send them in the cabin.  That would
be the next best alternative.  If you do this, you will still need to call
the airline to make sure the ferret makes any connecting flights.  I think
whenever possible, driving in an air conditioned car may be the safest way
to transport your pets.  Then you are right there with them all along, and
do not have to trust their care to strangers who do not understand your
pets needs as much as you do.

I can't remember if I've posted this info on the FML before or not.  If I
have, forgive the repetition.  I know I've emailed individuals concerning
this subject.  It's just that I've seen my mom in tears too many times over
the trouble she's had with this.  Every time she thinks she's covered every
possible problem that could happen, something else goes wrong.  I just hope
someone else can learn from her troubles so that other animals do not have
to suffer from transportation problems.

Also, if anybody wants specific details on shipping animals, email me and
I'll call mom.  She knows about crate sizes, lining, etc.

Jodie