From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 13:13:16 -0500
Dear FML,

I am bursting with joy.  I posted about a month ago about a ferret that I
got for the bargain price of $25 from a pet store who was keeping him in
an aquarium with wood chips.  I had visited this guy each time that I went
to the store for over a month, and each time I would talk to the pet store
staff about his biting, and his inadequete housing, and socialization.

On June 12th I brought him home after the pet store manager told me she
didn't know what do do with him, and that he had recently bitten a child's
face.  I posted here about his biting, and several kind people responded
with advice.  I also went to the Ferret Central site on "problem ferrets
and the people who love them" and read up on how to take care of this guy.
I am happy to report that today after much bleeding, and patience I played
with him normally, with bare hands, and only one small scratch to show for
our progress.  He has finally learned that I will not hurt him no matter
what, and that he doesn't need to hurt me.  He was so happy, making little
dooks, and licking and "handling" my hands with his mouth.  He only bit
down once, and I didn't flinch, I just said (as I have a million times in
the last month) firmly, but quietly....no, don't bite, no bite... and he
let up.

We were both so happy and it was a beautiful play time.  I see nothing
but progress from here, after this major breakthrough...or to be more
succint... lack of break through (skin that is).  thank you everyone for
your support!  Bitey and I love each other dearly, and that is what I
hoped for when I took this boy on.  By the way he successfully got his
shots...no reactions, and the vet said he is a very healthy 3 lb boy.  He
is only about 4-6 months old... so I bet he'll get even bigger.  By the
by...he has got a vertical tattoo like stripe running down the inside of
his ear.  Does anyone know which candian breeder uses this type of tattoo?

[HB]