From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 1994 08:11:00 EST
To Troy Lynn concerning euthanasia:

>Dr. Williams-Why is it that ferrets can be anesthetized before surgery but must
>be injected intercardially to be killed?  Am I missing something here? As we
>all value your input, we would be interested in your views and opinions on this
>issue.

        As Chris (or Bill) siad, there is nothing preventing a vet from
administering an anesthetic agent subcutaneously or intramuscularly before
administering a euthanasia agent intrapericardially.  I have euthanised my share
of ferrets (unfortunately), and that is my usual procedure.

        I don't know why any vet wouldn't do it that way.  (Actually I do,
although I don't agree with any of these reasons - 1) it's cheaper - an
anesthetic may cost a quarter 2) less trouble and faster to just euthanize them,
3) machismo  4) just don't give a damn. ) If you see your vet do this to yours
or any other ferret, it's time to make a change.

        However, a lot of people do a cardiac stick and do it well.  When done
properly, it is the fastest and most humane way for species smaller than a cat,
as the euthanasia solution gets to the brain immediately.

       The biggest problem that I see are inexperienced people performing
euthanasia.  Only in the vet's office are animals euthanized by a vet's hand.
In most shelters, it's just someone off the street who is not bothered by the
procedure.  Anesthetics are never used there.  Dolgs are ginen injections in the
vein, cats often into the abdomen (I have seen publications advising that the
liver, being heavily vascularized, is a good place to give a euthanasia
injection.)  I would imagine the same holds true for ferrets.

        Definitely not my favorite subject matter.  Although I am a pathologist
and work with a lot of deceased animals, euthanasia was always a very difficult
part of the job, and one part which I certainly don't miss.

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 576-2453/2454                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000