From:
Joan Evancic-Sheer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2013 05:35:35 -0400
May be of interest to Shelter ops

----- Forwarded Message -----

IVIS - Newsletter
View this newsletter online:
<http://www.ivis.org/newsletter/archives/apr13/apr0913accd.htm>

IVIS Announces:

5th International Symposium on Non-Surgical Contraceptive Methods of
Pet Population Control
June 20-22, 2013 - Portland, Oregon, U.S

Presented by the Alliance for Contraception in Cats & Dogs (ACC&D)

ACC&D's 5th International Symposium on Non-Surgical Contraceptive
Methods of Pet Population Control offers a one-of-a-kind opportunity
to learn about the current development and use of non-surgical
contraceptive methods of controlling canine and feline populations
worldwide. It will take place in Portland, Oregon, on June 20-22. On
June 23rd there will be an optional certification training in the use
of Zeuterin™, a permanent injectable sterilant for male dogs.

More than 50 speakers and diverse sessions are geared toward veterinary
professionals with a variety of interests: animal health research,
private practice, public health, and animal sheltering, among others.

ACC&D's 5th International Symposium takes place at a critical juncture
in development and implementation of permanent non-surgical options for
canine and feline populations. Zeuterin™, the first FDA-approved
non-surgical sterilant for male dogs, is expected to launch
commercially in the U.S. in mid-2013. Three more products are either
available commercially in Europe or in field trials. In addition,
2013 marks five years since Found Animals and the Michelson Grants in
Reproductive Biology offered up to $50 million to support research to
develop a single-dose, permanent non-surgical sterilant for male and
female dogs and cats, plus a $25 million reward to the first entity to
develop this product. Twenty-three scientists have since been named
Michelson Grants recipients; several will speak at the Symposium. In
April 2013 ACC&D released Contraception and Fertility Control in Dogs
and Cats, a 154-page ebook that reviews non-surgical technologies
available to, and in development for, these companion animal species.
This helpful reference for Symposium attendees and others can be
downloaded free of charge here .

Speakers : Our 50-plus speakers include Dr. David Grimm , Online Editor
for Science, who will give the keynote address at the Friday evening
banquet; Dr. Gail Golab , Director, Animal Welfare Division, AVMA; Dr.
Julie Levy , Director, Maddie's ® Shelter Medicine Program, University
of Florida; Dr. Tatiana Samoylova , Associate Research Professor,
College of Veterinary Medicine, Auburn University; Dr. Auke
Schaefers-Okkens , Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of
Utrecht, Netherlands; Dr. Stephen Zawistowski , Science Advisor, ASPCA;
and many, many more.

Continuing Education
We have applied to the AAVSB RACE program for 11.5 hours of continuing
education (CE) credit. Approval was granted for our 4th International
Symposium; we expect confirmation about the upcoming event soon. The
Zeuterin(TM) certification training, offered by Ark Sciences, has been
approved for 5 CE credit hours, which could yield a total 16.5 CE hours
in jurisdictions which recognize AAVSB RACE approval.

To learn more:
Visit our symposium website , which includes links to our registration
page , symposium agenda , speaker list , Zeuterin training information,
and hotel information.

Act quickly! Early-bird registration ($289) ends on April 20, 2013.
Discounts are available for veterinary students, non-U.S. NGOs, and
single-day attendance.

International Veterinary Information Service (IVIS) is a not-for-profit
organization established to provide information to veterinarians,
veterinary students and animal health professionals worldwide.