From:
Andrea Miralia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 1994 12:55:21 -0400
Regarding bringing ferrets to PETA meetings:

I was a member of the Syracuse Univeristy students for Animal Rights
a year ago, and that group was affiliated with PETA.  I brought
Frito with me all the time, and everyone LOVED him.

I haven't had a chance to look in my PETA files yet, but I could SWEAR
that they support adoption of animals from shelters.  I believe
that many people are split on the issue- some, like me, figure "
"well, maybe they were wild 3000 years ago, but they aren't NOW, and
the kindests thing to do is to CARE for them, while NOT supporting
the breeding farms and pet store suppliers that churn out far too many
animals.  Eventually if EVERYONE adopts from shelters, aLL animals
will be WANTed and well-taken care of.  Of course, that will never happen
because many people think they aren't getting a "quality animal" if they
don't get them from shelters.  I've adopted all of my ferrets
from other people or from private shelters (ever heard of a public
ferret shelter?? )  and they couldn't be sweeter.

The reason I became interested in animal rights and vegtarianism,
incidentally, was because of ferrets!!  Ferrets and their cousins
have (obviously) been used for fur coats...  and the idea of
someone killing Frito so they could WEAR him was beyond preposterous
to me.  But anyway... that's where it all started for me.  I'm
done now, I promie!

(promise)

Speaking of Frito's fur-- anyone have any suggestions about a 3
year old male who is a picky eater and has never had a thick coat?
Benny and Joon have always had thick, fluffy coats that change with the
seasons, while frito has never had a single coat change.  His skin
is visible through his fur on his stomach and legs.  This isn't
patchy bald spots, and his behavior is normal (although never
quite as energetic as Benny and Joon).  Could this be adrenal
or thyroid?  Or just &*&%$ MArshall Farms genetic screwup?  (Frito
was abandoned by someone who adopted him from there.)

Also, how do you check for cardiomyopathy?  Ultrasound?
And what are the symptoms?

PS-- anyone know about behavioral similarities between ferrets and
opposums and skunks?  I may begin wildlife rehabilitation and am
wondering if they would get along.
Thanks.