From:
Debi & David Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 14:38:22 -0500
I understand that you are very concerned about the health and condition
of the ferret collector's ferrets.  An investigation may very well be
warranted.  But, are you aware that most ferret shelters are operated in
private homes by individuals?  Without licenses, without tax numbers,
without any kind of business front?  My shelter is not a business or a
even a non-profit organization, yet our local animal control calls us when
a ferret comes in.

I also administer distemper vaccinations to the ferrets residing here.  A
box of 10 vials of Fervac-D costs $22.95 plus $10 for overnight shipping.
A bottle of Shock-Stop (1:1000 ephinephrine) is $3.95.  I order these from
a vet supply catalog.  Insulin type syringes come from WalMart at $2.95 for
10.  My vet supplies me with a 10ml syringe of dexamethasone upon request
(which I pick up before beginning to administer shots) And Benedryl , I
don't remember the price, it goes into my grocery bill.  And yes, I usually
have at least one reaction out of every 10 shots.  As you will note, I have
the supplies to deal with reactions.  Even with severe reactions I have
managed, (so far, thank God) to keep them stabilized.  I also have the
supplies and capability to administer sub-coetaneous fluids sometimes
necessary for the follow-up care.  I am not a vet.  Not even a vet tech.
But, in my humble opinion, this knowledge and capability is something all
shelter operators should have, whether they choose to utilize it or not.
(I would not try to tell you that you should give vaccinations if you are
not comfortable with the idea.) I don't give rabies vaccinations simply
because only a vet can legally issue a rabies certificate in Texas and the
certificate is actually the only reason for mine to have that vaccine (to
protect them from people... they are unlikely to contract rabies)

The cost of having a vet administer vaccinations would be at least $350 a
year for me.  I can have an adrenal/insulinoma surgery done for that amount
and we always seem to have one or two who need surgery.  Our ferrets are
supported out of our paychecks.  We are not wealthy (monetarily) by any
stretch of anyone's definition.  The only donations we solicit are a small
adoption fee, which doesn't even begin to cover maintenance expenses much
less show profit.  If that amount ever totals over $500 in income (which is
highly unlikely) I might consider adding it to my business income, but I'm
not planning to buy a separate ledger book anytime soon.

I guess my main concern is that you are using every possible means to
shut down the ferret collector.  And I do understand that you think it's
necessary.  But please be careful not to inflame a lot of people who are
basically clueless about the problems facing real life shelters that might
result in closing hundreds of good shelters just to shut down one bad one.

What's the good in rescuing 150 ferrets if you condemn thousands?

Debi Christy
Ferrets First Foster Home, Carthage, TX