From:
Wolf & Silven Read <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 12:18:05 EST
Hi Furtive People,

My wife and I are refugees from the California "war."  We recently moved to
NW Oregon, so that I could feel safe with my ferrets (and for a number of
other good reasons, including getting away from that boring CA weather).
Now I can walk them outside without fear of someone calling the F&G, or the
cops, say the word "ferret" in public without fear of exposing myself as an
illegal ferret owner, etc.  I used to work for a Fish & Game department as
a biological aide.  The fiasco in CA sure put a new spin on that old job.
California claims to be the leader state, but its ban on ferret ownership
(guardianship) demonstrates just how far behind it is in some ways (there
are many others, as well, but I wont get into them on this list).

We're owned by two 6 month-olds, born on nearly the same day, but from two
different litters (Thanks Chris and Kristy!).  Kasumi is our "big-bear"
sable, and our queen who's obviously the boss and a bit full of
herself--she does show poses all the time, looking so beautiful.  Nabiki
is our tiny, nimble spaz siamese, high-strung, loves to play and be
obnoxious, and, I hate to say it, her face is so narrow she almost looks
like a stretched rat--her eyes bulge so much its seems they'll pop out of
her skull at times.  They're both adorable, even when they're bad, and
our lives are much fuller for having them.  I've befriended many animals,
including dogs, wolf-hybrids, gerbils, guinea pigs, fish, black widows,
lizards, parakeets, finches, and must say that ferrets are something
special indeed (though I do really miss my trail dogs).

Thanks for your time.

Wolf, Silven, Kasumi and li'l Nabiki