From:
Connie Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 18:22:46 EST
Don't know how many have seen the magazine "Bark," published out in the
FFZ.  It seems that the San Francisco Commission of Animal Control and
Welfare has voted 5 to 1 to use include the word guardian whenever pet
ownership is mentioned.  I think it's a pretty cool idea since it would
also give rights to the shelter rescue people since they become the
guardian of the animal.  So I wonder if being the guardian of a fuzzy is
different in someway then owning the fuzzy?  I grew up in SF and have
always thought they were a progressive and accepting city, perhaps the
City by the Bay will be in the forefront of the fight to legalize ferret
guardianship.

In any case I would like to see the term owner replaced entirely by
companion or guardian.  An animal is not a piece of property (despite
the fact that the law in most states consider them property) to be disposed
of in any manner the "owner" sees fit.

Just through is was interesting.
Connie, Butch, and Maggie
"If people were superior to animals, they'd take better care of the world."
Winnie-the-Pooh