From:
"Mary R. Shefferman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:30:45 -0400
Death Adder <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>OK, now you non-smokers can blame us smokers for all your ills but boy
>am I putting my foot down when you say it's a smoker that caused your
>ferret to have asthma.  You ever watch a ferret?  they go around with
>their nose in the carpet , all that dust, all that epithelial matter
>and no to mention that smoke travels upward so get off so smokers backs,
>we pay more in gov. taxes than any other group

In Issue #31 of Modern Ferret, Bob Church talks about a study of
second-hand smoke in ferrets.  It's not good news.  (You can see the post
that this was based on in FML issue 3190.)

My ferrets have not been exposed to smoke because I quit before we got
ferrets.  (Interestingly enough, I have asthma -- I was exposed to
second-hand smoke as a child and first-hand smoke as a teen & adult.)
But when we moved into a rental house in 1997, the smell of smoke was
awful.  After cleaning the floors (which didn't help reduce the smell),
I cleaned the panelled wall in the living room -- floor to ceiling --
with Murphy's Oil Soap and the water came up black over and over again.
The tar from cigarettes does not go up.  It goes all over the place --
including the carpet, where your fuzzies are nosing around and snorting
it up along with the dust and epithelial matter.  If you love your
ferrets, don't smoke in the same house with them.  Scrub *everything* in
your home: walls, floors, ceilings, windows, fabrics -- everything.  If
you love yourself, quit smoking.

The big taxes on cigarettes are to help pay for all the people who end up
disabled because they developed illnesses from smoking.

--Mary (former smoker -- coming up on 11 years) and the Smoke-Free Fuzzies

PS: Oh, yeah, smoking killed my mother -- she was 38.  So, I guess I'm
biased.  But the article from Bob C really says it all.

(BIG/Bob C: maybe we could post Bob's post from FML 3190 again here??
It's very relevant.)

Mary R. Shefferman, Editor, Modern Ferret Magazine
Trixie, Koosh, & Gabby, The Modern Ferrets
Read my blog! http://www.modernferretblog.com/mary
See my cool stuff! http://www.topicaltees.com

[Moderator's note... OK, it certainly seems relevant and it's a somewhat
short FML today, so I'll repost it here, from issue 3190: