From:
Kym Zorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 13:21:10 -0400
Hello all,
I'm new to the list and have found it to be a wealth of information as well
as entertaining.  I live in Louisville, KY and am currently owned by eight
extraordinarily cherished ferrets - all but two are rescues - victims of
the dreaded " I'm bored with this animal" disease that unfortunately
affects some people.....

I have noticed that this list seems to have a high percentage of members
in the North.  (Actually, it seems like PA has a huge population of ferret
lovers !  ) Should there be anyone on this list in my neck of the woods,
please feel free to email me.  I am trying to organize a ferret fun show
here in Lou. late this fall.  I am also available to shelter any ferret -
I am truly blessed with a fantastic vet (who is also owned by fuzzies ) who
provides his services at a very reasonable cost .  I am not an officially
licensed shelter - our county laws are prohibitive here.  It is legal to
own ferrets with a $ 75 per animal per annum fee which includes a "house
inspection.  " As I was told by our county animal control officer - "
Everyone knows ferrets bite , so we have to make sure these wild animals
can't get out and breed ." Sigh.  Believe me, I'm working on getting those
laws changed !  Anyway, there is a legal loophole for "benevolent care
transitional fostering", so that's where I fit in.  If anyone is in the
neighborhood, stop in and PLEASE call if anyone in Ky. needs a home for
a ferret.  It is the policy of the local animal shelters NOT to adopt
ferrets, but to euthanize them after 72 hours.Call me instead !

On to the PA show.  My boyfriend and I planned a special trip to see his
folks and to attend the ferret show.  I must admit, I agree with Marissa
that the individual in question was not so much disciplining her ferrets
as she was showing off.  I watched very closely for quite some time and
noticed that in at least two instances , the ferret did not misbehave - it
almost seemed like a party trick performed for the benefit of the crowd.
As for tossing the ferret up in the repeatedly and catching it - is this
ever a good idea in a crowded show hall with lots of people milling about
shoulder to shoulder and especially over a hard floor ?  Accidents do
happen - I would have hated to see what could have happened if she had been
jostled and the ferret fell to the floor .  It's great to have a rapport
with your animals, but never at the expense of their safety.  Shows ,
with all the noise, lights, people, smells, and of course, lots of other
animals, are already stressful enough.  I fail to see how these actions
enhanced the experience for anyone, ferret or human.  I know I was worried
enough to politely approach the individual in question and speak with her
in a very (hey, I'm Southern !) non confrontational way about the way she
handled her ferrets, especially under such crowded and stressful
conditions.  Believe me, I have had experience with some absolutely vicious
ferrets, and agree that it can't always be rainbows and sunshine .
Discipline is necessary.  Without it, neither ferret nor human can enjoy
companionship.  I just firmly believe that some of the actions were
excessive and unnecessary.  As annoying as it is, there are still plenty of
people out there who believe the old stereotypes about ferrets.  Any time
we present our animals in public, we also shoulder the burden of presenting
them as ambassadors for their species.  We need to stress that they are
companion animals who require proper care , love, and training, just as
dogs or cats do.  I wonder what sort of impression the individual in
question made on people who aren't as familiar with ferrets ?

Ahem.  Off soapbox !!  Please remember that this posting is an expression
of my personal beliefs and I am more than happy to listen to anyone else's'
experiences, feedback, etc.  My intent is not to insult or condemn.  In
case I've really ticked someone off and they feel the need to b*tch me
out, please email me privately so as not to annoy other list members : )

Thanks.
Really enjoy this list.  Glad to be part of it !!!
Dooks to all,
Kym and the carpet sharks,
Stinky, Katie, Zoe, Pooh, Rikki, Bitty, Mortimer, and Mortimee.