From:
Karen Trask <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 08:29:26 -0400
My Ferret TigerBoy has been sick now for almost 3 weeks and we are at our
wits end.  He presented with sudden onset of profound lethargy, elevated
temp (104), rear end weakness, enlarged spleen, dehydration, and enlarged
lymph nodes.

He spent 4 days at the Vet's being hydrated and receiving antibiotics
without any improvement (no worse though so they suggested taking him home).

Test results; Spleen aspiration negative-spleen has decreased in size
somewhat (by about 1/3).

    Stool-positive for WBC
    Lymph node aspiration-negative (fatty tissue)
    WBC-21-26,000
    RBC-normal
    FBS-normal (4 hr. fast)
    Urine-positive for blood and protein (30 +)-dip stick of urine yesterday
shows continued positve for blood, protein, and sugar-will try for first
morning sugar (fasting).
   Temp-continues to fluctuate
   Current meds-
      Antibiotics: Bayatryl
                   Amoxicillin
                   Also on a med to normalize intestional flora (?name)
      Homeopathic meds:Coloidal silver-(the kind recommended by Gary H.)
                   Rescue Remedy (Bach Flower Essence)
                   Valarian Root (for pain)

Just started on baby aspirin yesterday (teeth grinding) with very good
results.  His appetite has always been excellent (feeding duck soup with
syringe-he is too weak to eat himself).  Making good amounts of stool and
urine-looking normal.  He is currently with a friend who works out of her
home so that he can have some intensive nursing care.  She reported 2 days
ago that his urine was pea green!  Called my vet-he suggeated dip stick for
WBC-did so and it was negative.  After 1 day on aspirin urine normal color-?
related.

My Vet says he has seen two similar cases recently and that both ferrets did
not survive.  On autopsy ther were no specific findings.  Any thoughts from
either the Vets on line or anyone else who has any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Peace
Karen

[Moderator's note: karen sent me an addendum to her post, which I ended up
losing before I could add it to the FML :-(  I think it contained two more