Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2009 05:50:01 -0400
For those of you that have ferrets or other creatures as service
animals, I would like to inform you of your rights to have service
animals. Most people are aware of the dogs for the blind, or assistance
dogs for those in wheel chairs. However, the public is completely
unaware and misinformed of other animals and other service animal
tasks. I speak from experience, and as a trainer/handler of service
animals. The U.S government is considering a proposal that can alter
the use of non-canine service animals. This debate has been in and
out of courts for as long as I can remember and at least 10 years.

Anyhow, the ADA or Americans With Disabilities Act was finalized in
1990 and requires service animals to be allowed in all PUBLIC places.
The disadvantage to this is that the public is very ignorant,
especially in smaller towns. Anyhow, each state has specific laws that
all service animals have to adhere to. For an example, In the state of
Virginia, all service animals that are considered "signal or hearing"
animals must wear some sort of orange collar and leash. Seizure
responders wear red, therapy animals can wear either blue and yellow or
green bandanas (of course other identification is also required, such
as vet record, cgc etc), assistance animals wear blue. The ADA and the
Department of Justice says that "service animals do not require an ID
or other paperwork (where they are trained, how long, etc). My 2 girls
that I use personally as a service dog, both wear vests, and id cards.
They are also registered under the United States Service Dog Registry.
Both id badges have their information, the handler's info, id numbers
that were presented by the US, AKC car numbers, AKC numbers, and their
pictures.

Anyhow, the most important information I can give is this, check out
the state laws. Find out what the requirements are to having a service
animal. I also advise (even though you are not required by law) to have
some sort of identification on the animal. Because it is a lot easier
to explain to the ignorant public. Service animals in most states are
not required to pay taxes (dog tax in some states/counties), owners do
not need to pay a pet deposit in hotels, apartments, rental properties
etc. Owners/handlers are not required to pay for an extra seat in
buses, airplanes, trains and other forms of public transportation.
However, some guidelines maybe different in some states. Over all, for
those of you who want to use their ferrets in some line of service
animal work, please be advised that you may need to have some sort
of documentation of your disability. Yes, according to HIPPA, you
shouldn't have to "prove" you are disabled, but the public doesn't see
it that way. For an example, on my drivers license and licenses plates
it says I am deaf/ hard of hearing. Most people who approach me think
that I am full of s*?t when I inform them of this. The reason is that I
speak like a normal person. But to be honest I can't hear a damn thing.
I attended the Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind growing up and I
had to go through 7 years of speech therapy, along with sign language.
My father is also deaf and all of my sisters are as well.

To make a long story short, check out your state regulations regarding
service animals, get some sort of documentation for the animal (i.e.
badge with animals picture, name, address, handler info, and what
service they provide), and have a back up info for yourself (handicap
sticker, license, or doctor's request) and contact information to the
ADA and Department of Justice (if you need this, please email me and I
can give you the correct information and department). I know not all of
this is required, but it truly helps when the public doesn't see eye
to eye with you. I have had to go to court in the past and this helped
my case. If any of you have any questions, let me know. I have some
information about certain state requirements as well. Just remember,
not all animals make great service animals. Some animals are better
within the "home setting" than in public.

Sincerely,
Kris Church LVT
Co-Director
Richmond Ferret Rescue League