From:
Juliana Quadrozzi - GA Domestic Ferret Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 20:32:48 -0400
>From:    Ingella Arwidsson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets in cages
>One that I had was a real Houdini.  All of a sudden he was gone and
>sometimes I never could figure out how he escaped - but I got him back
>every time, once after 5 days.

I'm happy for you that your little one found his way home, but let me tell
you that many are not so lucky.  We've gotten in dozens of found ferrets who
have never been reunited with their owners.  We also receive many calls from
people who have lost their ferrets, never to see them again.  MOF, since '91
when ferret ownership was legalized in GA, we have only reunited 3 fuzzies
with their people.

One of the saddest stories was from an owner who called me because she
couldn't find her ferret, but didn't know how or *when* she had gotten out.
I followed up 3 weeks later to find that her ferret had gone into a closet
'that had nothing in it that could possibly hurt her' - all except for an
inoxious piece of rolled linoleum propped upright in the corner.  But it was
too late when she found her nose-down in that tube.  My point is that had
she know when she was 1st missing & started searching, instead of assuming
she was just sleeping in a hidey-hole somewhere for 2+ days, she may have
discovered her still alive & struggling.

I feel very fortunate knowing a variety of people who have been devoted to
ferrets for many years.  Through their experiences I've acquired a wealth of
knowledge & realize that I haven't scratched the surface of all there is to
know about keeping them safe...from themselves.  These little fuzzies teach
us something new all the time.  Everyone on this list is at an advantage
having a resource like the FML (& an outstanding moderator, thank you again
BIG).  As disturbing as some of the tragic stories are, we all learn from
them.  But for the new owner, or someone who doesn't have the exposure most
of us have, how could they possibly know what potential hazards there are
if they haven't been told...it isn't in the book.

Everyone's situation is different & so is every ferrets' degree of curiosity
& mischief.  Some people have infants, small children, or other animals
(rodents, birds, reptiles, fish, etc.) that have to be protected from
ferrets.  In other households, ferrets have to be protected from aggressive
dogs & not-so responsible children & their friends (who run in & out of the
door).

While I can appreciate your love for your little ones & concern for their
welfare, I cannot agree that everyone is suited to allowing their ferrets
full-time free reign.  Anyone who is considering allowing their ferrets
free reign must carefully examine their situation.

We routinely compare being owned by ferrets to having a perpetual 2-yr old
child.  Sometimes it is in the best interest of a ferret to provide a safe
room or comfortable cage to "baby sit" when you can't supervise.

Juliana Quadrozzi, Foster Mom
GA Domestic Ferret Association
visit our web page at:  http://www.mindspring.com/~jcrow/gdfa/index.html