Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 00:19:00 -0500
>My ferret, Begbie, is an only ferret and needs a playmate.  A friend
>suggested that I get a puppy and I really liked the idea, but I wanted to
>get some suggestions on which breed I should look for.  I would imagine
>that a smaller dog would be a better playmate for her, but I just wanted
>to hear some other opinions.  Please email me if you have any advice.
>Also, any tips on training a puppy to be gentle with her and vice versa."

We've got an Australian Shepherd who is marvelous with our ferrets, cats
and whatever other small animals we've brought into our home.  It really
surprised us, because she is small animal aggressive, but apparently this
only occurs with animals that don't belong to her "pack".

When we got our first ferret after having Mattie, we were prepared to
separate dog and ferret at play time, but we were suprised at how well
Mattie got along with her.  She plays with our 3 ferrets, and is very
gentle with them.  She lets them steal food out of her dog dish ~ she even
stops eating to let them in!  ~ and has even let the baby kits hang off her
ears.  Occasionally they do get too nippy for her, but she simply jumps on
our bed to escape them.  (We tuck the blankets under the mattress so the
woozles can't climb up after her.)

I've other friends with Aussies and they have reported similar attitudes
with animals they've brought into their homes.  All of these folks have
been active in training their dogs and competition in obedience, agility,
or herding, however, so maybe their dogs' position in the pack is firmly
enough established enough to allow for this.  It could also be that
herding/herd guarding type breeds could be a good choice because they have
been bred to work with other animals?

First, I would suggest maybe getting a rescue dog instead of a puppy,
perhaps finding a dog that has had some training and whose personality has
settled some.  (There are TONS of general dog rescue and breed rescue sites
on the internet.)  If you are interested in Aussies, let me know, I can
send you the ASCA website.

Secondly, consider a small dog VERY carefully, as several of the smaller
breeds may not be at all suitable for sharing a house with small animals -
Jack Russels, other terrier types, Schnauzers, minpins and Dachshunds come
to mind.  If you want a smaller dog, you might want to consider a toy breed
bred for an affable personality, such as pugs, pappions, or Cavalier King
Charles.  But also bear in mind that ferrets can be rough on other pets as
well.  I've read on the FML of ferrets that kill kittens, and have heard
tell of ferrets that terrorize even big dogs.  You might want a dog that
has enough coat to take getting nipped, and has enough height to be able to
escape the ferrets' antics if need be.

Whatever breed you decide upon, be sure to socialize your dog well and TAKE
OBEDIENCE CLASSES!  Even if you go no further in obedience than good house
manners and a CGC (canine good citizen), please make sure your dog is well
trained and you are firmly established as the pack leaders.

Good luck to you!  :)