From:
April Armstrong Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 23:35:28 -0500
Hi, all.  I know there are a lot of these types of messages out there,
but if any experienced ferret owners are thinking of adding to their
crew:

1. Benjamin.  I had a home lined up for him, but it did not work out.  I
would keep this wonderful man in a second, but my hubby is not ready to
have another fuzzy right now in addition to our other four.  He is about
5-5.5 years old, NM Marshall Farms, sure seems adrenal-alopecia, skinny,
though he weighs 2# (he's having an ultrasound Wed.).

He had yucky gross poop, but has been responding well to treatment with
metronidazole, sucralfate, pepcid, amoxicillin (which has been changed
to Clavamox due to some crystals in his urine likely related to his
adrenal disease).  Xrays revealed no stones, and were reviewed by a
radiologist-they were pretty much unremarkable, but again, he is having
an ultrasound Wed.

He loves to play and get wild, but also snuggles, and gets along with
other ferrets.  His stool has tested negative for parasites twice, he
has no ear mites, and his teeth could use a dental, but are pretty good
considering his age and that he was eating CAT FOOD for most of his life
(part of why, I'm sure, his poop was so gross).

Former owner was allegedly an older woman who had too many pets she
could no longer care for, according to her daughter, who dumped the
then-nameless guy at the shelter and wanted him put dowmn b/c he had
blood in his stool (great reason to put an animal to sleep without even
knowing why he might have bloody stool).  I have never seen frank blood
in the stool, nor did the WARL or the Educated Ferret, who transported
him to me-it has been dark and tarry, but no frank blood, and the
consistency has greatly improved-no more green, pudding-consistency
stools.  He has been eating Totally Ferret among other good ferret foods
very well.

I LOVE this little man.  He comes with a couple of full sets of bloodwork
results, a negative ADV test, I can send his xrays with his new owner for
their vet, and he will have had an ultrasound and probably at least his
distemper shot.  I will try and help anyone who adopts him with any meds
he needs and surgery.  I will also send some bedding and treats, etc that
he likes.  LOVE him.  He was named Benjamin because he is a Gentle Ben.

I can email photos to any interested parties.  Please contact me
directly-it is hard for me to read the FML consistently.  Email me or
call 508-721-1259.

[Part 2]

2. Kodyak.  I have not yet met this little girl, but am told she is
very sweet.  She is four years old and balding, swollen vulva-obviously
adrenal.  Her owner "really adores her-they love her so much" but "just
want to get rid of her now," "don't want to care for her at all any
more," "want to get rid of her as soon as possible." She "keeps her [the
owner] up at night" because she is "crazy" from the adrenal disease, and
the owner "just can't take it anymore"-I assured her that the animal is
probably pretty uncomfortable herself.  The owner is a "newly-single mom
with a 16-yr-old son" who just wanted her put down and doesn't want to
treat the disease, even with $30/month lupron.  I have been told she is
a nurse-comforting; you should have heard her tone...

I certainly could at least fathom financial constraints, but it is hard
to reconcile "we adore her" with comments like "we just want to get rid
of her or put her down" and "we no longer wish to care for her at all,"
versus "we just can't care for her" or "we want to find her a good home."
Anyway.  The DVM who referred her to me refused to put her to sleep-he
told the woman he was the one who had to sleep with it at night, as he
feels Kodyak is very treatable and would do well after treatment, even
if she only had lupron-she has no other notable problems at this time,
though no bloods have been run yet.  If I can get her in time, I can get
her ultrasounded on Wed and will also do full bloods and xrays as well
as a U/A and ADV test.

She comes with her cage and all accessories, and we will help with her
medical care.  She is a 4-yr-old SF Marshall Farms sable girl.

Please contact me directly-it is hard for me to read the FML
consistently.  Email me or call 508-721-1259.

-April AC