Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 17:36:00 -0800
This posting is presented in the hope that ferret mating description,
as given here, will trigger response from ferret-smarts veterinarians
and experienced ferret breeders. The objective is to provide a baseline
of ferret husbandry information that can be improved and expanded by
factual contributions and/or questions. I would encourage readers who
have an interest make a copy of the material presented and provide that
copy to your own veterinarian for his commentary.

Please do not be disheartened by the total ignorance of your vet in
the subject of ferret husbandry. Your prodding him with material such
as this may get him busy researching the subject and opening up his
own clinic to increased revenue by taking up another aspect of ferret
science.

Currently the major source of ferrets seem to be the commercial ferret
breeding businesses. The vast majority of commercially bred ferrets
seem to be incubators of disease just waiting to develop with time as
a consequence of the interruption of the endocrine cycle.. You should
know that there is another source of ferrets that are not the furry
neutered and descented disease machines currently marketed. That source
may very well be an association of dedicated ferret breeders who have
good ideas and who are ready and willing to find methods of breeding
and producing acceptable pet quality ferrets.

Ferret Husbandry Anecdotal Observations Limited

These data provided by Edward Lipinski at Ferret Endowment for
Research, Rehab, Education & Training Society, NW Foundation of Mercer
Island, state of Washington.

1.) The assumption made in this posting is based on close observation
of ferret mating. How many ferret folks out there have mated their
intact ferrets is anybodies guess, I suppose, but there must be a few.
Plus one would think that a knowledgeable veterinarian would be able
to shed some light on just what's going on in the copulatory process.
I should like any vet to contribute here when that vet possesses that
knowledge, please.

2.) I hope that someone with intimate knowledge of this subject may
dedicate a few words.

3.) To me it seems remarkable that the male ferret can achieve vaginal
penetration in so far as the insertion appears to be what could be
called a Hit Or Miss Operation (HOMO). We humans, if you'll pardon the
expression, use our hands for guidance to ensure coitus with minimum
probing, but not necessarily each and every time. I suppose one could
term handless probing as a HOMO too, just like the ferret.

4.) The basic reason I bring up HOMO to your attention is the
consequence for the female ferret in terms of bacterial infection of
the birth canal, a potentially fatal malady. Birth canal infection
is called pyometra and is defined as pus accumulation in the uterine
cavity. The accumulation of pus is essentially a soup of active foreign
bodies, primarily bacteria, that have been inoculated into the uterine
cavity, assumedly by intromission of the ferret penis vaginally.
Pyrometra is not common, but when it does occur the kits are born
dead and the mother ferret may die also.

5.) Prior to mating the male organ is sheathed and, for the most part,
clean of infectious agents. The female genital area, namely the vulva,
is swollen hugely and extends about10 to 15 millimeters beyond the body
wall and perineal area. Because of its extension the vulva is easily
contaminated by contact with agents in the litter pan or on the surface
wherever the female defecates and/or urinates.

6.) At first thought, it would seem logical to assume that the female
ferret is inoculating herself due to her elimination habit, but upon
closer observation, it is evident that a constant outflow of pre-coital
fluid is copiously present such that the vulva is constantly bathed in
sterile fluid emissions outward from the vagina. Here, upon close
observation, one easily concludes that the heavy outflow of pre-coital
fluid would strongly inhibit the invasion upstream, so to speak,
against the fluid flow outwards of bacteria. This conclusion then begs
the question, how is the uterine cavity inoculated?

7.) The vagina is basically sterile as is the sheathed penis. So how
do we get an infection between the two organs? Could HOMO play a role
here? Pre-coital (foreplay) activity in a pair of sexually excited
ferrets can last from just a few minutes to as much as half an hour,
after which both ferrets are becalmed and minimum movement occurs.
Frequently the female appears asleep and it is therefore assumed that
uterine lockup has occurred. Uterine lockup is described more fully
below.

8.) The time interval between the onset and the duration of foreplay
and uterine lockup could be the period during which inoculation occurs
as a consequence of HOMO. Here the inefficiency of rapid targeting of
the vaginal orifice by the male results in the unsheathed, moist penis
apparently picking up many populations of bacteria from the anal area,
the perineal area and other areas on the female's body that are being
constantly and swiftly probed by the male in his effort to connect.

9.) It should be common practice to bathe both ferrets just prior to
mating.

10.) And to make matters even more difficult for the poor male ferret,
his organ is not straight, like an arrow, but is articulated near the
tip such that it points downward rather than straight ahead. Bluntly
speaking, for him, it's not a straight shot, but like in playing pool,
it could be compared to what's called a bank shot. Somehow the male
scores a bullseye with his crooked organ and gets into position and
just when bliss seems so blessed, snap, crackle or pop, little missy
ferret springs her inner trap, just as if she were to say, you're not
pulling out now, guy, cause I got you good!

11.) I'm not completely certain but it appears that the articulated
tip of the ferret's penis relaxes the powerful orbital muscles of the
uterus. The uterus relaxes just enough for the penis tip to slip into
the uterine mouth whereupon the powerful uterine lips close on the
bent tip and we get uterine lockup. Here we have a superior degree of
procreation than that which happens in humans. The ferret's spermatozoa
are deposited directly into the uterus, unlike human deposition of
sperm in the vagina and only at the mouth of the uterus. Hence we have
a greater certainty of pregnancy in the ferret than in the woman.

12.) I invite peer review, as best we have here on the FML, of this
posting and welcome commentary both pro and con. I want to learn more.

Edward Lipinski, Concocter of LUMPS