From:
Jackie Hawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 22:19:22 -0500
Ben had his second surgery eight days ago.  He had a rough time for a few
days but he's feeling very good again and being very demanding.  I suppose
"spoiled" is the word. :)  This surgery was more complicated and time
consuming than the first.  More teeth were pulled and tissue taken from
gums and inside his lips enabling Dr. Bennett and Dr. Pye to make a "double
flap".  He was home the day after surgery!

The new feeding tube bothered him a lot for a few days and he came home
with quite a bit of congestion in his lungs but that has cleared up also.

I've been so optimistic the last couple of days, yet afraid to hope.  With
the quick glimpses I get into Ben's mouth when he yawns, I was pretty sure
the graft was holding.  Ben had a recheck today and the graft is holding
with the exception of a few tiny holes in the back which basically means
the holes can deteriorate more but Dr. Pye feels they could also close up
with time.  We just have to wait and see....and pray.  Dr. Pye is very
pleased with his results and everyone at the teaching hospital has fallen
in love with Ben.

It's another two weeks of keeping a very close watch on Ben to try to
prevent his "chewing" and aggravating the graft.  He still can't have
anything by mouth and he really wants to eat so bad.  Poor little guy is
being so good and so patient.  We talk a lot while we rock :), mostly
putting me to sleep!  I've told him if he leaves the graft alone a while
longer, he can have ANYTHING he wants!  He looks up at me with a sort of
question in his eyes that makes me wonder what he does want!  The he gives
a big sigh and cuddles in my arms.  No matter how "antsy" he gets or how
much he wants down, all it takes is scritches on his head or ear rubs then
he calms right down.  He absolutely amazes me all the time.  He recognizes
the sounds of other kids eating or drinking from the water bottle and wants
to join them.  Maybe one day soon I'll put one of the little old ladies
with him.

Yesterday I pulled an old recliner into the dining room since the wooden
rocker gets harder and harder.  Ben & I were rocking, listening to soft
music which he really loves.  Rambo, my Pom, decided he wanted attention
also and jumped into the chair with us.  Ben loves to watch Rambo anyhow
so this was a big treat for him.  He sniffed and sniffed at Rambo, Rambo
turned and gave Ben a couple of kisses then tried to pat Ben on the head.
The second time startled Ben and he hissed at Rambo.  :)

From my calculations, Ben should be a year old sometime this month.  I'm
declaring March 15th as Ben's Birthday!  Wouldn't it be wonderful if he
could have food or even some water.... That would be the very best present
this sweet little guy could have!

This part is really hard for me.  I've never asked for donations until
recently and only for Ben.  At this time, they're really needed.  I believe
all Ben's expenses for the first surgery have been covered thanks to the
auction and a few donations.  This surgery cost was almost double the first
one plus there's more vet visits due other than today's when they put him
to sleep for a short while and a refill on his medicine since some has
ended up on the ceiling a few times.  (It goes in the feeding tube,
fortunately, but sometimes my hands get clumsy when I'm getting air bubbles
out or when the med comes gushing back out of the tube) :) I've always felt
taking these kids in was my responsibility no matter how tough things got
or what kind of surgery/medical care they needed.  I've had to postpone
surgery and other needed care for some of the kids since my expenses are
much, much more in Jacksonville.  If anyone can do something, wonderful.
If not, I truly understand.  We all have our own problems.

Ben's web site has been updated but dated day after his surgery.  I
probably won't write another update until Ben's next vet visit in two
weeks.  Right now, I need a nap while Ben is sleeping and other kids are
out playing safely.  :)

http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/ben.htm

Many thanks to everyone for your concern and caring about Ben.  He
definitely deserves every warm thought!

Jackie