From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 1996 20:31:49 -0600
my ferret stopped eating about 3 days ago and has lost considerable (~35%
or more) weight and become very lethargic.

To make a long story short, i bought a new type of food about a week and a
half ago.  He didn't adjust very well at first but started eating when he
was hungry.  He continued to eat at a reduced rate for a week or so.  He
seemed to be getting a bit thinner but it didn't seem very major (the
weather here is also changing).  Then between thursday and friday he slowwed
his food consumption to almost nothing.  It wasn't completely sudden but
happened over about 48 hrs.

I changed him back to his old food saturday.  He wouldn't eat it.  I tried
to get him to eat all the foods that he likes and tried other suggestions
(like chicken baby food).  All i could get him to eat yesterday were
raisins.

I took him to the vet today and he was xrayed.  No obvious blockage but the
vets aren't sure.  He has not been anywhere unusual so if he did eat
anything that was very bad for him, it was something that he had ignored it
for the last 6 months.  He did, however, have a bowel movement today --
raisins -- so i am a bit skeptical of a blockage.

i took him to the vet and he was x-rayed--no apparant blockage.  They gave
be some nutri-paste stuff that he seems to enjoy.  It smells like petromalt.
he will eat the recommended amount if i feed it to him but he is still
reluctant to eat on his own--even raisins.

If anyone ou there has any suggestions for me i would love to hear them.

thanks in advance
brad