From:
Mark Hei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 13:58:00 -0400
First,

Congratulations on performing a very good deed...

I would ask your vet, after confirming that he/she knows how to care for
ferrets in the first place... but, I recall the 2 most important shots
where:

- Canine Distemper - for ferrets
- rabies - for ferrets...

I would also recommend, in a home with Flea carrying animals, that you have
the doctor prescribe to you Advantage, to protect your ferret from fleas
for 1 month per dose, during the Flea season.  My dad told me about it,
and my vet reconfirmed... In 12 hours all the fleas were gone, plus, the
fleas in their bedding and hiding in your shag rug will die also...

The dose is: get the stuff for cats under 9 lb., and give it 1/2 the dose
between its shoulders, touching the skin under the fur.

 -----

Also, I think the 2 most important things for a ferret, especially one you
don't know is all that healthy, is to have LOTs of fresh water (in those
dispencers which have a bowl at the bottom and a 2-3 liter bottle
upside-down into it), and 10-20 drops of ferretone (or Linetone) a day,
right from the bottle top their eager lips... Honestly, that might not
help any more than bond the ferret to you and make it (and all of the
others you have) VERY happy... they love the stuff!!!

 -----

mark.