Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 05:07:17 -0600
I was reading an old pet magazine my friend found.  They gave it to me
because of an article of ferrets.  It was mainly talking about a recent
'ferret frolic' organised up North in Auckland..  But in a few cases, it
discussed what it refered to as 'the darker side of these animals'.

One thing it brought up was a recent media-hyped 'attack' on a toddler.  It
talked about how ferret people had said how the ferret was probably lost,
scared etc, and how the toddler probably rolled over and crushed the
ferret.  The magazine also hinted at neglect.  Then it said 'None of this
justifies the attack, of course'.  I just sat there thinking 'What, a
scared, lost ferret suddenly gets this big huge thing lying on it.  Do
you expect it to just lie there quietly and die?'.

In another part, it said '..so vicious they could bite through leather
gloves and peirce human flesh'.  Obviously an attempt to sound like an
awful incident.  Then, the next article (about killer dogs) calmly wrote
about a man being killed by his pitball, and another lady being mauled by
the neighbours dogs.  Something seems wrong here when a magazine puts more
effort into illustrating the 'horror' of an animal that can bite through a
leather glove as far more terrible than a dog that kills and mauls people.

*sigh* people.. Personally, I think they should be banned.

- Reet