From:
Mustela Putorious <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2006 07:12:36 -0700
Musty Pete Greets Jings

While napping in my quiet little cottage at the edge of the woods I heard
Mr. Big's voice, gently nuzzling me awake.  He seems to be waking me up a
lot lately.

"Musty Pete??  Please wake up."  At first I thought I was dreaming, but
the voice grew louder and a bit more insistent

"PETE!!  WAKE UP!"

Pete rolled over and stretched, slowly opening his eyes he murmured,
"Yes?  What is it?"

"Musty Pete, I am sending Sophie to you with an urgent message."

"Uh...er...Okay.  I'll wait for her."

Pete ambled into his small kitchen and opened a box of raisins.  He ate
a few, and had the thought that he'd love some of Paps Homemade Chicken
Soup.  Oh how he missed his soup, it was the best soup Pete ever had!
He could almost smell it in the air.  Paps Doyle made his special soup
every week and it was always such a treat for ALL the ferts who lived
there.  Pete was lost in a daydream of Paps soup and Pete's one true
love, Fancy... And then, there was a quiet knock on his cottage door.

"Who is it?" he asked

"Mr. Musty Pete???  It's me, Sophie.  The Big Boss Man sent me."

Musty Pete always chuckled at the many names Mr. BIG was known by.

"Come in Miss Sophie.  What can I do ya for?"

Sophie looked puzzled, "Huh?"

Pete re-worded his question
"What can I do for you today, Miss Sophie?"

"Oh!  The Big Boss Man told me to bring this letter to you." She handed
Musty Pete a scroll.

"Thank you Sophie, have some raisins"  He handed her the box, which
Sophie happily accepted.

Pete unraveled the scroll and began to read....

'Musty Pete,
A very strong, heartfelt prayer was said last night by a lovely lady
named Marla.  Marla is Sophie's human Mom and also the Mom of Jings.
Sadly Jings became very ill shortly after Sophie crossed the Rainbow
Bridge.  And Jings is now on his way to us.  Please take Sophie with
you and meet Jings at The Rainbow Bridge.'

Musty Pete let out a heavy sigh... "Miss Sophie...It breaks my heart
that we have been so busy with greetings here at the bridge.  And I am
saddened to tell you that one of your very good friends will soon be
crossing the bridge to join us."

Sophie pulled her face out of the raisin box and said "Whaddya mean, Mr.
Musty Pete?  Who is coming here to see us?"

Pete sighed again and said, "Your good friend Jings got very sick after
you were called away from your family.  He got so sick that he was also
called to the bridge.  And he will be here very soon."

Sophie's eyes welled up with tears.  She was so sad for her human Mom
Marla.  Sophie knew Marla must be heartbroken and so sad.  Sophie looked
up at Pete and asked, "What happened to Jings, Mr. Musty Pete?"

Pete looked down at Sophie, seeing the sadness in her eyes
He said "I don't know the answer to that Sweetheart... sometimes these
things just happen."

"Shall we go to the Rainbow Bridge and wait for Jings to arrive?"
Musty Pete asked Sophie

Sophie agreed and they left Pete's cottage and headed for the Rainbow
Bridge.  Half way there, Musty Pete realized that Sophie was still
clutching his box of raisins.  He chuckled softly to himself and said,
"Miss Sophie, you can keep those raisins, I have plenty more."

"Thanks Mr. Musty Pete.... You know what?  I was just thinking about my
human Mom, Marla.  She must be really sad and I was wishing I could see
her or let her know that I am okay... and that Jings will be okay too."

Musty Pete looked down at Sophie and he said to her, "There is a very
special place here in the Rainbow Bridge community Sophie.  It is called
The Pool Of Remembrance.  It is a magical place...a ferret can go there
and think of their human family and ferrets who are still Earthbound and
if you gaze into the Pool and concentrate, you can see them, at that very
moment."

"Hmmm-mmm.....I'd like to go there." Sophie replied

As they rounded the bend in the well worn path to the Bridge Sophie
looked ahead and saw that Jings was already standing at the end of the
bridge, waiting for them.  Sophie ran ahead and showered Jings with
hugs and kisses.  "Oh Jings!!  You're here!!  You're really here!!"

Jings looked frightened
He asked "Sophie??  Where are we?"

"THIS..." she said, sweeping her paw across the air "...is the Rainbow
Bridge." "This is where all animals come to when they get too sick or
too old to stay with their humans.  And this is Mr. Musty Pete."

Musty Pete extended his paw to Jings "How do you do young man.  I am
Musty Pete, official Bridge Greeter here at the Rainbow Bridge."

 Jings looked a bit confused
"Can I go back home now?" he asked Sophie looked at him, "Oh Jingsy!
THIS is your home now!"

Musty Pete hugged both the little ferts and comforted them and he said,
"Jings and Sophie... This is your home now.  You will stay in this
glorious place and wait for everyone you have ever loved, both animal and
human to cross the Rainbow Bridge and join all of us.  There is nothing
to be afraid of... and there is plenty here to do while we wait."

"Well Sophie" said Musty Pete "Shall we get Jings settled in?  Then we
can go to The Pool Of Remembrance and check in on your human Mom."

"Sure thing Mr. Musty Pete" Sophie agreed
And the three walked off paw to paw to paw towards the Newbie
Dormitories.