From:
"Sally St. Germain" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 13:45:04 +0100
Well folks, it has been a very tiring few days, but well worth the
effort.  The 2 little ladies that I brought home from the pet store on
Saturday are doing well.  They are trying to act like ferrets.  They have
been fed every 2 hours for the first 48 hours and now are being fed every
4 hours.  I cut back on the duck soup and put kibble in their cage in
hopes they would start eating on their own, and they did.  They were
crunching kibble very well on their own.  However at 4 this morning I
got up to feed them and neither one of them wanted to eat, it looks like
their kibble hasn't been touched and they are having strange poops.  Up
until now, poops have been pretty normal, They they are softer and really
light in color.  Not green or yellow, but kind of pastey.  It is not
diarrhea, however is is softer than normal.

I called Jason, (the store owner) to update him.  He called be back a
little later and told me he had finally gotten in touch with Marshall
farms.  Marshall Farms are blaming the middle man for the rough shape of
the ferrets when they arrived at the pet store.  They said he must have
let them sit at the air port too long before picking them up.  Apparently
Marshal Farms has told Jason to keep the little girls on duck soup until
they are 100% better, and then introduce the solid food.  Does this sound
reasonable?  I always thought it was good to get them on kibble as soon
as possible.

Up until this morning I was really pleased with their progress.  I do let
then out of the cage for limited exercise.  I don't want all of their
energy being used up too quickly, but I feel it is important they get a
little time out of the cage.  They have attempted some pretty weak weasel
war dances, but they were definately war dances and ever so cute and
awkward looking.  It made me want to cry and laugh all at once.  The
smaller of the 2 discovered a crocheted egg and dragged it all over the
place.  The egg looked bigger than her.  She thought I was going to take
it away and backed away from me so quickly, to protect her treasure.
Unfortunately, I did have to take it away, because the crotcheted part
started to unravel and I was afraid she was chewing on it and perhaps she
would swallow it.  I felt so bad.  She loved that egg so much and I only
have the one.  I guess I'll take a closer look at it and see if I can
repair it and make it safe to give it back to her.

They are both really good kissers, and love to explore the kitchen floor.
The kittens watch over them like body guards and lay on top of the cage
to protect them.  When they are out on the floor the kittens wrestle with
them ever so gently and the ferrets love to chase them.  The babies have
never cried out while playing with the kittens, in fact there hasn't even
been a hiss or a puufed out tail.  The 2 kitties and the 2 babies are
very good friends.

Of course I am extremely disappointed with this set back and would
appreciate any advise or ideas.  I am continuing the duck soup feedings
every 4 hours, and making certain they are getting lots of fluid.  They
are drinking water well.

Missing 9 "Little Angels" @ the Bridge
Sally St. Germain and her 8 "Little Saints"
Hi.....my name is Sally.....I am a ferret-a-holic!!!!!