From:
Lesley Colton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 2010 23:08:22 -0500
I know the subject is a tired one, but I have one more point to add
concerning the Giving Tree. My mother-in-law, Brenda Owen, has been
donating to the GT ferrets for the last couple of years. Last year,
she was SO proud to show me the pictures and letters of appreciation
that she received from the several shelters she sent to. It made such
a positive impression on her that she increased her monetary donation
this year (keep in mind that she doesn't own ANY ferrets, but in
totally in love with her "grand-ferrets: Loki and BART!). She gave
to three ferrets on the GT this year and could have/ WOULD have/ and
WANTED to donate to several more. However, they had been sponsored
already. She had wanted to be a secret santa to a particular shelter
in Florida that has had a really rough year, but all this shelter's
babies had santas (turns out they did NOT all receive their gifts).

Anyway, the point is this, it is easy to get caught up in the spirit
of the holidays and giving. Then you may find that you over extended
yourself or had an unexpected expense and now you can't meet the
obligations of being a secret santa, don't be embarrassed about it, be
honest and realistic. Let the giving tree know that you can't send a
gift as you originally wanted, there is no shame in this. It is honest
and noble. The ferret can placed back on the tree where someone else
can pick them. I am sure that this can be done by sending an email to
the GT webmasters.

Stepping down from my soapbox,

Lesley