From:
"Michael D. Beland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 11:45:11 -0500
I've read some posts about plant problems.  After I found the pot of my
favorite plant with practically bare roots and no soil, I decided it was
time to do something.

Although I haven't been able to teach Newton to stay out of the plants (he
sure loves that dirt), I have figured out how to keep him out without moving
the plants.  I took a piece of chicken wire (a fert owner's best friend) and
cut out a piece a little bigger than the top of the pot.  Then I cut a slit
to the middle of the chicken wire and a whole in the center the size of the
plant stem.  You can then place the wire over the top of the pot and bend
the edges over.  Wait until you see how mad your fert is when he/she can see
the dirt, but can't quite reach it.