From:
Nell Angelo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 2013 11:42:47 +0300
My big dog, Dante, had a bad attack last night in the kitchen. I
thought he would die, but in a few hours he was better and now is
pretty much back to what is normal for him.

He was playing gently with Brian, fell over on his side, had a hard
time with breathing, and couldn't get up. His breathing was raspy,
panting, and at times very very low, His lips were all stretched out
along his jaw, showing his teeth, with the back edges of his lips
slightly rounded and down. From time to time, he'd look me in the eye
in some panic. After some time, I rolled him over from his left to
right side and he seemed a lot easier, but still panting and just
lying there.

After some more time, I made an experiment, offering him a bit of the
beef he'd been begging for earlier off my plate. He took it, and perked
up a little. I waited a bit and saw he wanted more. Meanwhile he
started sitting up a little then lying back down, still panting.

I decided to see if I could get him from the kitchen to the bedroom
so I could lie down on the bed, rather than bedding down on the bare
cement floor. I was uneasy about the plan -- what if he couldn't make
it? But when I showed him the plate of bits of meat, he got up and then
followed me outside, down past the three other rooms and Edilegnya's
pen, and into the bedroom area. I fed him a few bits of meat, and then
he wanted to go out and take up his position of guard dog outside. I'd
hoped he would settle down near or on my bed, but he clearly wanted
out. He hasn't wanted to sleep inside since I moved to Addis Alem.
Eventually I let him out, but left the door open.

I got up a few hours later to check him and found him lying outside the
door. He looked ok, though not normal. In the morning he came in acting
normal, bumping me awake and greeting with his nose. He's been acting
pretty normal today.

My Swiss vet, Rhea, and I think it was his congested heart. We talked
this morning. I couldn't call her late at night -- she has her own bad
heart condition.

She has an old dog who has that type of attack. This is the first one
I've witnessed in Dante. Rhea says that if he has another attack she
will come look at him. I'm appalled -- I think he should be seen now,
but she doesn't think so. I guess she thinks there's nothing much to do
about a congested heart. She doesn't want me to transport him into the
city, and she isn't coming this way for a week or so, unless Dante has
a recurrence.

Now, of course, I'm worried that a plane journey would kill him.