From:
Judy Gronwold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 01:04:24 EST
I would like to know if any of you readers have the knowledge to read and
understand pathology reports.  The biopsy reports for Draco's liver and
spleen are, of course, too technical for me.  However, I did take a medical
terminology course a few years ago, and the report "appears" to me to be
saying that Draco is not getting the nutrients he needs from his food, as
well as saying many, many other things that I cannot decipher.  I do know
they indicate he has "nonspecific" liver disease and a "high quantity of
extramedullary hematopoietic activity" was found in his spleen.

I have copied the report into an e-mail which I could send if anyone is
willing to help me.  My vet has sent the report to a "ferret" veterinarian
expert, but he is out of town this week.

Also, someone posted on the FML about a ferret dying of "Lypoma" (a
condition that has to do with fat).  Does anyone know anything about the
symptoms of this disease?  Can anything be done about it?  How is it
diagnosed?  Draco's exploratory surgery revealed "massive fat pads" in
several areas of his body.  Since his surgery, he is gaining weight even
though eating very little.  I'm very concerned about him.  We were so
relieved when the surgery alleviated our fears that he had cancer, but now
I'm worried again.  He had a grossly enlarged spleen removed, but he really
is in about the same shape energy wise as he was before the surgery.  Some
days he does pretty good and others he's very difficult to wake up to feed.
He still is not eating well...only a small amount of a mixture of a/d,
ground Totally Ferret, Brewers Yeast, canned chicken and Bone Meal.

I am currently gathering information on some remedies that have worked well
for other ferrets, but I am almost desperate to know what exactly we're
dealing with.  Please feel free to e-mail me directly.  Any and all help
would be greatly appreciated.

Judy