From:
Duck lite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 08:00:33 EDT
CHEWEASELS
I am of course guessing, but I always figured the Cheweasels were made of
gelatin- the same stuff that goes into Jello.  Unless I misunderstand, the
basic ingrediant in Gelatin derives from horse hooves (same as Elmers glue),
is completely edible, and can be formulated into various consistencies by
adding other ingrediants.  Sorry if I'm wrong, as I said, this is an
assumption.

PETCO
As Samantha said, not all PETCO's are the same.  We have several here in NJ.
Some I wouldn't want to park in front of they are so filthy, others are
spotless with knowledgeable staff and well cared for animals.  (Kudos to the
Eatontown store)

SHELTERS
Michelle writes:
>I think the shelters that request extreemly personal info like income,
>work hours, marital status, type of dwelling you live in, ect should also
>be subjected to the same type of questons by the potential adoptee!  These
>shelters justify these questions by saying "it's to insure ferrets are
>adopted to the best home".

Any questions I ask of potential adoptees I would answer if asked of me.
When we ask who will be living in the home with the ferret, it is not to be
nosey.  Personally we couldn't care less.  But we don't want to place a
ferret who is scared of loud noises in a home with the bass player for Death
Angel, or a home with three kids under 6.  We ask if you are allowed to have
ferrets where you live if you rent, as we don't want you calling us in two
months telling us you are bringing the ferret back because you are being
evicted otherwise.  We don't ask income, but do ask if you are financially
prepared to handle vet bills which if the ferret ever needs surgery, can
cost $500 or more.  We ask how much the ferret will be alone (not your work
hours), so we can help you choose a ferret who won't mind being alone a lot,
as opposed to one who needs hours of human interaction every day.  We ask
who will care for the ferret if you go away, and let adopters know that we
will board the ferret if needed.  Adopters come to MY house, meet MY family,
see MY personal belongings, learn about ME.  I don't ask to do that of them,
but I do think a few questions about their lives is not unwarranted.  Just
when you go to buy that pet store ferret, please don't think you can just
dump them on the shelters in four years when you "suddenly develop an
allergy", go away to college or decide to move to an apartment where ferrets
aren't allowed.  With attitudes like yours, there won't be any shelters left.

ATTATCHING LITTER PANS
Drill small holes in the sides of the pans, and use metal shower clurtain
clips through the pan and the cage wires.  We have never had a ferret be
able to disconnect one, no matter how much they try.  Put it in the corner
of the cage and clip two sides :-)

-Anne