From:
Charles Onken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 2004 13:59:00 -0400
After reading about all the struggles to make the chicken gravy and all
the burned out blender stories, I had to chime in with our method.  We
put a whole chicken in a crock pot and plug it in out in the garage.
Better to stink up the garage than the house.  Let it cook on Low
overnight.  Turn it off in the morning.  After a few hours of cool-down
time, I run it thru one of the old hand grinders that clamp onto a
table or shelf.  The bones go thru without a problem.  The resulting
grind is combined in a pot with with ferret kibble that has been soaking
overnight, and a few jars off turkey and sweet potato baby food.  We add
a small amount of oat meal and honey.  Stir this mixture and THEN blend
it.  Have been doing this for five or six years with the same blender.
The end product is poured into ice cube trays and put in the freezing
compartment of the refrigerator.  Each ferret gets one cube per night.
The cubes are put in a coffee cup with a tiny bit of water and nuked to
melt it.  The ferrets head straight for their cups as soon as they are
let out for "play time".