From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 21:31:16 -0700
Gosh, I've always thought of the ferrets as my hobby.  Aviation is my
husbands hobby (he has a 1946 Ercoupe) and the ferrets are mine.  But
just to be on the safe side I checked with Martha.  No, no, not Martha,
I mean I checked my Webster's.  Anyone who was worried about being un-PC
can now relax.  Here's the skinny.  Hobby - a spare time interest or
occupation, especially one taken up just for pleasure.  Nothing about
collectibles.  The ferrets qualify!  They are glad to know this.

For one thing, that's how many of us justify the amount we spend on them.
Everyone understands that one's hobby, being a great source of pleasure,
can sometimes be an incredible monatary drain.  But it's ok, because it's
your HOBBY.  You know what they say about boats - a hole in the water into
which you pour money.  Well the ferret is the same thing.  Except with a
boat you don't have to shovel poop!

Many people I know consider their ferrets to be their children.  Which is
fine.  That's the beauty of it, they can be whatever you want them to be.
Mine are happy being a hobby.  My daughter is also happy to know she
doesn't have 4 hairy brothers and a furry sister!

Georgia - the left coast one...