From:
Gary Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 21:36:46 -0600
To everyone who offered advice and experiences related to Pogo, our
white-faced, overly aggressive ferret THANK YOU!  I have been too long in
responding and have been gratified that the question of what to do with him
was considered by so many people both on the FML and privately.  Since the
original post I quit my job, moved, and for the past two weeks have been
driving back and forth across the state dealing with my father's illness and
death.  I has been a hectic time, but not related to our shuffle-lopers.

A summary of responses would say that Canadian ferrets are not more lively
or aggressive than their southern counterparts; most of Pogo's exuberance is
typical male fert behavior; acting afraid when he gets bitey convinces him
that his rough play is appropriate, therefore encourages him to go for more;
badger rugrats may be more bitey than is typical.

Pogo's female cagemate, Buttons, had possibly contributed to his aggression
by adrenal disease-caused enlarged vulva.  Now that she has fully recovered
from surgery (2 months ago) her energy level has quadrupled!  Although still
not a match for him, she will run, get into things, play rough with him, and
nibble wrists and feet with more appropriate exuberance.  At least he has a
better playmate and not need to protect a wimpy little friend.

To update Pogo: he has not exhibited destructive attack behavior which cost
me too much blood.  In fact he seems so well trained that I cannot remember
that last time I gave blood to him!  Of course he continues to taste
everyone else... The single most encouraging thing my SO learned from all
the responses concerned the hope that when he reaches a year of age a sudden
attack of mellowness will overtake him.  Well that magic date is fast
approaching and he shows no sign of slowing down.  In fact, one new game we
play is tug-of-war with a tennis shoe and he can drag it at a full run on
carpet--quite strong for a 2.2lb beastie.

Friends who hear our stories of the travails of housing Pogo often give
advice on how to terminate him.  But if they watched him cavort and play
with Buttons like a barrelful of kittens, they might understand better.  One
favorite story happened six months ago when they had the run of a large
master bedroom.  I came in to find my wallet at the mouth of a 6' long tube
leading to a box which they loved to nest in.  I retrieved the wallet which
had been atop a dresser--previously out of their reach (Pogo learned to
muscle-climb furniture by wedging his back against the leg and walking up
the wall!).  Later I checked the hidey-hole and found my drivers liscense,
car registration and a $20 bill.  Apparently they were planning a get-a-way
vacation!  Lucky for me I had the car keys in my pocket.

When people ask what is the value of the Net I reply that when Buttons was
diagnosed with possible adrenal disease I accessed that FAQ from the FML,
consulted with Dr. Williams, got the name of a vet three hours away who was
an expert in adrenal surgery (who did the operation), and learned more about
the disease than any of the three vets she had been to see since I got her.
It was of enormous help to be so knowledgeable and comfortable with the
diagnosis and procedure (the local vet wanted to scrub two surgeons and
charge twice as much, not being very experienced).  The FML has been very
valuable to me and my charges--THANKS.

Gary, Buttons and Pogo

(P.S.  Adapted from the "Toddler's Creed" here are some contributions for a
Ferret's Creed:
1.  If I can get it, it's MINE.
2.  Whatever I can hide is MINE.
3.  If I stole it before and you got it back it's mine twice as much.
4.  If you try and get anything out of my hidey-hole I get to bite really
    hard.
5.  Anything I can knock off and drag away is MINE.
6.  If it tastes good I can have it.
7.  There are no places off limits.
8.  If it has an inside, I have to explore it (because the best things are
    always hidden).
9.  Towels and clothing lying on the floor are there just to conceal
    something underneath that I want (and it's MINE).
10. I get to climb up the backs of anything (you included) as high as I want
    and will never get hurt if I fall.)

(P.S. 2.  What does dook really mean?)