From:
Irinia Turner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 1997 12:08:46 -0400
I missed something in the vaccination debate.  Because of the nature of my
work, I had the Hepatitis B injection series, and the antibodies should be
there for life.  I know that tetanus toxoid (to which I am allergic) should
be given every 10 years.  Is there a time limit on the rabies vaccine?
Could I just go in to see my doctor and request vaccination, or do I have to
be bitten by something first?

The reason I am asking is because I'm moving to a non-FFZ, and want to
volunteer in a shelter to get hands-on experience before getting my first
fuzzy.  I figure that if I can get trained in the fine art of nail clipping,
ear cleaning, bathing, medicating, etc., both of us will be better off for
it.  In fact, I've never been near an adult and don't know how to play with
one.  I go to Reno to get my fuzzy fixes.  But, I digress.

Why I want the injection is quite simple: protection.  Not for me, for the
shelter.  I *know* I will get nipped or bitten.  I'm not worried.  It will
be part of my education.  I just want to make the shelter feel secure in
knowing that I've had the injection and won't try to hold them responsible
if I'm bitten.

So, can I pre-vaccinate?

Thanks,
Irinia

DAD:  "I dunno, they look too much like weasels to me."
ME:   "So does Uncle Jim."