From:
Mel Hyner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 1996 23:34:05 -0400
Hi, I am writing on behalf of a wonderful little REW ferret named Crystal,
or more reciently--Cris!!!  I have been interning at a zoo this summer
which, along with other animals, has two ferrets which they recieved from
the humane society a little while back.  As a fert owner and animal lover I
am very concerned about these two!  Not a single soul at the zoo has any
clue about ferts!  I have been attempting to educate them, but when I tried
to inform the vet that we had two males and not one male and one female, she
simply informed me that their papers said otherwise--end of conversation!
AHHHHH!

Well, that is beside the point my main concern is that since the two ferrets
came to the zoo, one of them has been continually loosing weight.  To me he
does not seem overly thin or under active, but I also spend a very limited
time with them each day.  The vet sais that it is not attributable to
weather, but I don't really know how long they've had them.  The other male
is the same as when he started, and they were even separated to make sure
they were both eating.  Stools look normal, but both of their teeth look
terrible!  Yellow/orange and no points on the ends!  I am not sure how old
they are but I would guess somewhere between 3 and 7, but my experience is
with 1-2 yr olds.  Does anyone know what should be checked for the weight
loss, and what can be done about the teeth?

Thanks,

MEL
(Tiki, Dallas, Margarita--my rug rats & Cris and Lucas--from the zoo)