From:
Tysa Jayne Kihn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 08:52:25 -0800
We use pellets and always have with our ferts.  Tried it with the cat
even, but he prefers clay and this way he doesn't confuse their litter
boxes with his.  There hasn't been any problems with the ferts.  We only
fill the boxes with just enough (this depends on the size and use of the
box).  We change the box in the large cage everyday.  The other boxes can
be papertowel scooped and then shaken, especially the two girls who only
use one corner of their box.  The only thing we have had to deal with is
digging and playing in the box.  Sometimes when they are bored a few of
them will dig in the just cleaned box.  Halley on the other hand loves to
roll around and snorkel in the boxes.  She does this even after there is
poop in it!  Luckily she won't do this in the really dirty boxes.  It's
only on occasion but its enough to drive us crazy.  I'll pick her up and
put her in the rice bin, but she goes right back to the litterbox.  We
finally gave up and figure it isn't hurting her, just gross!  Another tip
is cert ain pellets breakdown faster.  Lignetics are the best woodpellets
we've found.  Another tip for those wanting to use pellets but unable to
find them is a cat litter that is pelleted.  It's more expensive but
doesn't breakdown as fast.  It is called Harmony (or something like that)
and is in a pink bag.  I've found it at most grocery stores.  It runs
about 2$ for a 10 # bag on sale.

Good luck

Tysa, Dana, the Havoc Wreaking Weasies and the rest of the furry family