From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jun 2005 13:09:31 -0400
Erinne asked about Revolution dosing.

Carried from the FHL Archives, with standing permission of the author,
Jerry Murray DVM, to quote him:

http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=SG13107

>Actually Pfizer recommends the cat size Revolution (5-15 pound cat)
>for ferrets.  When they did a preliminary study with the kitten size
>(0-5 pounds), 1 out of 10 ferrets developed heartworms, but none of
>the ferrets treated with the cat size Revolution developed heartworms.
>There were no safety probelms with the cat size dose.
>
>For cases of ear mites or sarcoptic mites, a second dose 3 weeks later
>is recommended.
>
>Hope that clears things up,
>Jerry Murray, DVM
>BTW: Dr Dryden is the flea guru from Kansas State.

and here is part of another of Dr. Murray's for those who are in
heartworm areas:

http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=YG12182

>Actually none of the heartworm preventatives are approved for use in
>ferrets.  With that said yes, Revolution was studied in ferrets and
>the 5-15 pound cat version is recommended for ferrets.  The
>Interceptor brown 0-10 pound dog is another option for ferrets.  Mine
>will actually eat the Interceptor.  Heartgard for cats or small dogs
>(0-25 pounds) is another option.
>
>The only liquid version is diluted ivomec (1ml ivomec to 9 mls
>propylene glycol) given orally at 0.1ml per pound once a month.

If you call up various parasite posts (my personal favorites in there
come from the address containing AFERRETVET) you will notice that there
simply is not a single choice which is best for every parasite option.
Around here heartworm is rare but ticks are common and this year they
are coming into the house on us even without us going into woods or
grasses -- they are that plentiful here right now -- so our choice is
based upon the tick preventative need.  No matter where you are your own
LOCAL VET will be able to tell you which parasites and their diseases
(or in some cases toxins, for example the paralysis tick of part of
Australia) are of most concern for your animals.  By combining the info
from vets of which have been used safely in ferrets (to be found in
the archives of the FML and FHL -- with the FML Archives address in
the header of every day's FML) you and your vet can choose the best
preparation(s) to use on your ferret for the highest risks of your
own region.

For example:
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/browse.php?msg=YG12126
(again Dr. Murray) is a fine tick post