From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 21:27:24 -0400
I almost became a vet rather than a zooarchaeologist, but I knew I couldn't
face the frustration of hearing a client tell me they couldn't afford to
treat their pet.  People always tend to take in far more animals than they
can afford to care for, and they justify it by saying the animal is better
off.  Maybe so; I'm not the judge.  From my experience, ferret owners
forget that the cost of a dozen ferrets is NOT just food and yearly shots,
but ALSO a lifetime of medical expenses compressed into a half dozen
years.  Ferrets are not sicker than any other animal; they just have short,
compressed lives, which translates into your pocketbook as yearly medical
expenses, especially after the ferret's 4th birthday (consider if your own
life was compressed into an 8 year period; think about how often you would
have gone to the doctor on that timescale and what the annual expenses
would be).  If you cannot afford veterinary expenses, then please rethink
your desire to own more than a few ferrets at any given time.  I have
always suggested to only own HALF the number of ferrets you think you can
afford, because like it or not, medical expenses will cost you twice what
you expect.

I have started a special savings account for my vet expenses.  I averaged
my ferret medical costs for a couple of years and deposited that amount
in the account.  If you can't afford the total amount, break it up over
several months; I used a tax refund to start the account.  If you still
can't afford it after breaking the cost into several months, then you
simply cannot afford the number of ferrets you already own because the sum
represents what you pay out EVERY YEAR in medical costs.  I then divided
the average yearly cost by 12 and place that amount in the fund each month,
plus 10% extra.  Resist any desire to borrow against the account.  It has
saved my butt more than once.  For me, with 15 ferrets, that translates to
$75 per month (actually $71.73, but I rounded it up), which covers my
average number of surgeries, shots, and close and personal inspections.
It is a special account using a check that I or other trusted caregivers
can sign.  Since I have started the account, I have never had to hesitate
starting treatment because of financial considerations, and I have the
piece of mind knowing that if I am gone from home, funds are available for
the caregivers to begin immediate treatment.

Bob C