From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:35:38 -0500
Here is a copy of my most recent reply, with the person's name removed.

Oh, gosh, I wish that I knew one.  I'd have posted it.

Offhand, I think some past Bob Church posts in the FML Archives (and
FHL Archives?) might discuss nutrients (His chicken gravy is an example
of a made-at-home balanced diet.), and I think some Tom Willard ones in
the FHL Archives might (posts from twillard).

Okay, I will do some searching.  I guess I should share the links with
the FML afterward because you are not the first to ask, and I am not the
best to answer.  Just know that on some points there IS controversy, with
ferret expert vets not even agreeing, because there are up-sides and down
sides to each viewpoint.  (See past posts in the FML and FHL.)  Actually,
in your case i know that you will look at both sides and be thorough
while keeping an open mind that conditions and data are always in flux,
thank goodness that you will!

http://www.peteducation.com/category_summary.cfm?cls=11&cat=1296
includes
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=11&cat=1296&articleid=498
which is on basic nutrition BUT NOTICE THAT IT PREDATES THE DISCOVERY
THAT RAISINS CAN CAUSE KIDNEY FAILURE IN FERRETS and some other stuff
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=11&cat=1296&articleid=573
has some info for you
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/duck_soup.htm

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=11&cat=1296&articleid=1491
diseases influenced by diet is also slightly outdated

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=11&cat=1296&articleid=540
is on feeding sick ferrets
as is
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/babyfood.html

Info on food and labels:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=11&cat=1296&articleid=563
http://www.fda.gov/cvm/index.html
http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/Spring04/Perhach/PetFood/Ingredients.htm
I DO NOT KNOW HOW ACCURATE OR INACCURATE THAT SOURCE IS, NOR IF IT IS
SCIENTIFICALLY RIGOROUS.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=479
http://www.ohioferret.org/INFO/nutri.asp
http://www.ohioferret.org/info/nutri_prn.asp
http://www.totallyferret.com/ferret101.asp#Q14
fiber

Some states have their own regulations on top of federal ones.  For
example:
http://www.1000petstores.com/Licensing/pet_food_regs/pet_food_regs.html

Of course, this last week the Republican majority in the House in
Congress voted to remove prevent further state regulations on food
labeling and content that are at all stricter than federal ones for
human foods, so who knows it they may challenge stricter state laws
on pet food?  Please, note that I don't know about other nations'
regulations and laws at all.  Sorry.

Pet food storage:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=11&cat=1296&articleid=2804

Notice that pet diets tend to contain food sources like skin, cartilage,
and organ meats.  These are excellent sources of many minerals and other
nutrients.  Calcium can even come from some safe calcium tablets like
Tums.

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan