From:
"S.Hewett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 09:17:57 +0800
Debi wrote:
>ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ALREADY!  A couple of the "Live Prey Advocates" that
>keep pushing this issue are from Australia ( YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!).  I
>got a private e-mail from someone in your club a few days ago explaining
>this to me and the type of people you are.

I'm not sure who you are referring to as being an advocate of feeding
live, but I do note that not one of the recent Australian posters
advocate live prey.  The only live prey advocate has been MC (the rude
one) who is from the US and sees it as an important enrichment exercise.

If you could get the "someone in your club" person's permission to post
the private e-mail on this list, we would all like to be enlightened.

I don't see that natural feeders have been "pushing the issue" as all
posts have been in response to issues or direct questions.

>You Aussies may feed live/natural prey and that's fine, but *PLEASE* do
>not try ramming your way of thinking or your practices down our throats!
>We are intelligent creatures and can think for ourselves."

Racism and slander in the same post!  Goodness me.  In fact, Natural
Ferrets was started by an American and now has members from all over
the world, including Europe, Australia, Canada, Israel & the UK.  They
are all united in their passion for wanting to improve the lives of the
ferrets in their care and to helping others who want to do the same.
The only differences that they have to contend with are the availability
and cost of suitable dietary items in each respective country.

The FML also has members from different countries and I feel that your
comments may have offended some.

>All aspects of the subject have been examined so there is no need to
>keep this going.  You also have ignored the other information that was
>given about other influences that effect our ferrets lives.  I have done
>fine with my Inova which is made from Turkey & Chicken (Not meal or
>by-products).  My oldest furkid died at 13 years thankyou very much.

That is great but as long as people ask the questions, I will keep
posting my views.  Your posts have not been ignored - did you not see
the reply that agreed with your post regarding other influences affecting
health.  The answer has always been * it is your choice.*

>Ferrets have been DOMESTICATED for thousands of years (at least in the
>US) and the physical structure has changed since their ancestor's day.
>Even their skeletal structure is different.  Just because they are
>decedents of the wild form doesn't deem it necessary to feed them
>live/natural prey.

Ferrets have not changed significantly since being domesticated and their
dietary needs have not changed at all.  Their physical change is caused
by deprivation rather than evolution. ie unsuitable diet, lighting and
lack of exercise.

>Dogs decended from the *Wolf*, but you don't see us feeding THEM live
>prey

There is an absolute groundswell all over the world of people changing
the diets of their dogs (and cats) to a more natural one.  This obsession
with *live* prey is very puzzling, so please note: NOT LIVE!